Cheaper alternatives to Owners?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheaper alternatives to Owners?
    Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:52pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys, heading up to Aitutaki in a couple of weeks and have about 30 lures that need the trebles upgrading on them. A whole lot of nice new ST66 trebles would be nice but being a student with very limited funds, that is unfortunately a touch unrealistic. I was just wondering if there are many alternatives out there which will stand up to GTs etc, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 2:30pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I doubt it....not cheaper anyway...st76 is a stronger treble but costs more...gammies are not bad but not that much cheaper...I wouldnt scrimp on yer hooks bro...gts will test em big time....just get two or three packs and split rings to match(big ones) and you can always swap from lure to lure.get a good pair of split ring pliers. Gts are supposed to be good at throwing trebles,so you could try a baker rig with strong singles(that would be cheaper)....Sure someone else with more knowledge than i have,will offer some input too.Can i hide in your suitcase please?LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:00pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You could try singles , Owner SJ 41s , I use them and don't seem to have to much of a problem with hook ups ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:53pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah i will be rigging a few with singles for sure. I would just switch a few trebles between all the lures but it's more the bustoffs that I'm worried about than anything else as we will be fishing 8-9 days weather dependant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:54pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anyone used the Mustad 9430AD 5x trebles? If so, are they available in NZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 4:09pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those booty VMC, whilst not being as anywhere near strong as ST66, are ok and a lot cheaper. They're lighter too so need to tune your lures accordingly.

You could always just get a few sets of good trebles and change them around your lures via your splits, bit hard to fish 30 lures at a time. Get the best and live without regrets. Get some of those owner free draining treble caps and this will make it less of a hassle to do so. Got them on all my lures and they are the goods, make fishing life so much easier and hassle free.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 8:20pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^^^^good advice bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:06pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Get some of those owner free draining treble caps".....yep the green ones are the way to go.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:14am
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A wee while back the new owner of OTI contacted me about trying out his hooks... The price is right but I don't have any experience with them...I have a sneaking suspicion that OWNER used to OEM for OTI, but I don't know if they still do, as I remember bulk amounts of Hyper Wire split rings being sold unpackaged...For 5/0 or bigger trebles just buy Owner ST66, ST76 are for truly monster class fish and are very large gauge hooks you will need a broom stick to set them.

I will send through a PM 2cold...

Here's a link for what its worth...Inline singles look good too.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:51am
PoppinTonga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Go for the owners, at least the st66 ones.  If you are going to use trebles, only use them on the front and put a single on the tail.  First, you will not need as many trebles.  Second, the rear treble has a tendency to really cut the fish up badly on the side and under the belly.  Since I can't get good singles in Tonga, I use Longline tuna hooks with the welded ring on top.  The ring allows the hook to point up on the tail without needing 2 splits.  Do not forget to flatten the barbs, the one that gets away will thank you  Clap
Tis better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:30am
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The minor cost difference between Owner and lesser hooks will be forgotten after landing a PB, or long remembered when a lesser hooks fails.
Owner trebles are the standard that all others a measured by for a reason.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 5:03pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

black magic split ring pliers are the chiz you only need take about 8 - 10 hook sets and it take little time to change them if you take the ring and hook off at the same time it is very easy.

on a trip to Samoa last year i changed the sets as we went from place to place to try the different lures and you only have to have about 4-6 sets off each size you need

its not about having hooks on every lure when you travel as you can only cast 1 at a time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 5:16pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to Back Singles, see lateset Mag...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 5:26pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For a bakers rig maybe jm monsters?. dunno i,m not much of a topwater man perhaps they the wrong shape. Or wot about mustard hoodlums they seem to be pretty strong and well priced too