shimano raider 24 kg refit - noobie project!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shimano raider 24 kg refit - noobie project!
    Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:00pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys,
have been admiring the great work shown on here, there's some awesome custom rods out there.

A visit to my local (tackleshop) last week resulted in my walking out the door with a 24kg shimano raider that some one had bought in for repair with totally corroded alloy hard guides. 
Basically they decided they would just buy a new rod so my guy in the shop decided I could have it to refit. (great way to get me spending more in store!!)

The blank grips and seat are in bloody good nick have stripped off the remains of the old guides and under and over binding. 

I have some spools of gudebrod thread that I got in a bulk lot of flytying gear a while back, and have some 2 part marine epoxy floating about in the shed somewhere (will this be ok to recoat the rod). I am in the process of building a rod jig and have a rotary fly dryer I can use to build a turner/dryer.

Anyone have any suggestions for what size/type guides I should refit it with?
Don't want to spend a lot on high spec as I don't do a lot of heavy gear fishing and its only a fairly cheap rod to start with.

Naturally the missus is horrified at the thought of another fishing related hobby to go along with my fly tying addiction!

Cheers 
Paul