Popper hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popper hooks
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:50am
andy101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone changing out the triple hooks on there poppers for a single, and are they as effective, have found it hard to set the trebble hooks some times, and the things are a danger when trying to unhook a kahawai that impales it self on the popper when afther kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:45pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use single hooks on all my poppers , as I release all my fish I find they do less harm , to the fish and me , I can not say if I catch more or less , but I am more than happy with my hook up rate , I like to use the Owner SJ 41s  hooks , and some of the Decoy hooks , both are very good .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:15am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah mate have changed my hooks to barbless singles. Have only caught this little one since making the change, but you can see it had a bloody good purchase in the middle hook.

On some poppers I use baker rigged singles on the middle hook to create more drag, and have been experimenting with assist rigged singles on the rear. However this has caused a bit more tumbling and tangles than I'd like. Am going to try adding white feathers to the tail hook to hopefully stabilise the lure.

Am using big jig hooks mostly, but mustad hoodlums seem to do the trick too.

Always go barbless as I want the fish to be able to shed the lure easily in case of a bustoff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 5:57pm
andy101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

One thing i have learnt since starting popper fishing is to not buy another shimano backbone popper rod, it will stop kings in there track but will break ya back doing so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When running an assist hook on a popper I attach it to the front of the lure.I like to run a swivel/split ring combo on my leaders to make changing lures easy & attach the assist to the split ring not the tow point on the lure much the same way as when jigging.The lure pictured is set up for GTs with an Owner Jobu on the tail & a Shout Kudako on the front.Scaled down a bit it should work on kingis too.Always crush the barbs down so a fish can get rid of the lure easily if it busts you off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:50pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i change the trebles for owner trebles st66 and crush the barbs down.

i personally am not a fan of the single hooks on poppers for gts (what i target where i am) as i find the hook up rate is significantly lower in my limited experience, but in saying that, i have missed plenty of strikes using two trebles also.

most poppers that i use come with factory trebles, therefore i assume that they swim the best with trebles on them instead of changing the balance with singles etc. just my opinion and i know lots of guys who think otherwise.

fish seem to be able to shed the trebles on bust offs as i have seen the popper floating immediately afterwards and gone and retrieved it with the boat.

but i am not fishing for kingfish so it may be totally different.