Mac 360

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote uncleping_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac 360
    Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 10:03pm
uncleping_88 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So i've decided to go with one of these but have herd some of the older models have low backs and when you slow down water pours in the back? Anyone know what year models don't do this as i have herd it's from 2004? Or how much water actually does go into the boat? any other info about them would be appreciated. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:52am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Iv'e had mine since 2001  with the low transom, Its not really an issue at all, Only time i have water come in is when I come off the plane. To stop it happening, I just speed up slightly as the wash is about to hit the transom.  You can also take water from another boats wash. nothing major. I've had mine over 10yrs and taking a little water is part and parcel of the Mac, I have a bailer tied to the rear and most trips its never used and if it is then its not much more than a couple of litres. Whatever issues the Mac has is nothing compared to its safeness and stability, Lets say, I would never swap it for a mono tinnie of the same size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 8:23am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The high back (long shaft) option has been around for a while, pretty sure you can spec either if buying new, pretty much what Worksux says. I have had two of them. I really rate them for safety, much more capable than a 12ft tinny and you can quite happily standup and fish anywhere in the boat! Try and go a minimum of 20hp though, IMO 15hp does not really cut it on these comparatively heavy hulls unless you go solo everywhere.

The very early 3.6's had a portafino style stern which was really good as it did not have the angles in the corners but instead straight across the back, allowing for more practical storage. A flat floor makes a big difference abd is a piece of cake to fit, also good for storing oars under and rope etc. They are extremely durable. but check for hairline cracks around the transom corners.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:31am
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep what has been mentioned is true man stable as i had a 25hp on myne and wouldnt have wanted anything smaller. i fitted a bilge pump in myne which was handy and did the fllat floor mean lil boat but wet man very wet but hey pick ya days vey handy lil fishing rig at a low cost and low mainternce
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote uncleping_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 5:39pm
uncleping_88 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So the low transom doesn't really matter? How full will it get until it sinks? Or does it never sink like people say? Just want to know in case there's wind against tide, wind change, etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:33pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the only way it will sink is if people have put holes all trough it man but any plastic welder can take care of them. but yea when comeing off the plane just stay ahead of the wash and youll be sweet as also put a bow rail and clear kind of dodger on it as you are going to take right in your face mark my words lol
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:22am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You won't put holes in it mate, it has TWO skins of 8mm poly - compare that to a Fyran 12 footer which as 1.6mm of aluminimum!!!!  Very durable and even if you did, it won't sink as polyethelne as a material has positive buoyancy much like wood. Don't worry bout the low transom - fit a bilge pump manual or elec running off a small gel-cell battery. Fully swamped a Mac 3.6 will float upright. I swamped my Mac 420 once and it was fine and still surprisingly stable with 1000l of water sloshing round inside it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fauxpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:23pm
fauxpas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The newer ones are not only double skinned they are full of foam .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:58pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are all double skinned in that the hull is one piece, i.e moulded floor joins pontoon sides etc, (double skinned is probably not the best way to describe them though) only the ones from around 2005 we're foam filled and they only filled half way up the pontoon, think this was due to survey requirements as many we're put into service as hire boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:55pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry to resurect an old thread… I'm restoring an old, low transom mac 360 and close to finishing it (needs a lot of plastic welding since it was flipped and thrown onto the rocks by hurricane Gita).
I'd be keen on putting a floor in, but don't know what ply is suitable at what thickness? Want to keep the weight down as much as possible + boat will be stored in a garage. Should I use 3.2 treated, marine ply or untreated? Don't care about its look – it already looks like it went through a mincer anyway. Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 10:47pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marine grade ply is a reference to the quality and strength (number of laminates)—it is not treated—My Mac lives outside in the open-marine ply lasted a bit over a year and then started to hold moisture. Now I’ve got sheets of H3.2 from Mitre 10 in it. A coat of varnish each spring and it’s been good as gold for about 5 years now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 9:21am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool thanks! What mm thickness did you use? may go for untreated with a couple of layers of epoxy.
Thanks for the info on marine ply, I'd had thought this would be the way to go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:35am
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've used 18 mm ply (mac 570 though), so it adds torsional strength, and I've used it to incorporate an anchor well and a raised box for me to stand on so I can see over the top for when we are wakeboarding etc at the lakes. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:02pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha – fair enough. That won't work with my setup, only have a wee 15 on it. I'll give it a go with 7mm and see what happens…