Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 235236237
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:02pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They certainly are out there in the Rangi channel so I guess any of those bay's Takapuna, milford castor etc would be a good starting place but whether they come in close enough is the question, I guess early mornings when it is mostly calm would be the best time on an incoming tide. Good luck you got to be in it to win it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 7:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

West coast harbour spots are your best option at this time of year. Big kahawai can be a bit hard to find off the shore on the east coast in high summer, but the west coast still seems to have good fish in the hot months. Look for anywhere that has current and a good tidal flow. I understand that there are some good harbour channels out that way that provide some excellent early morning wading on an incoming tide close to the city. Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:46pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Today at Mellons bay.
You got to be in it to win it. kawahai work ups.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:15am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Manukau harbour is probably firing at the moment as I was swimming out at French bay the other day and a bait ball came in and was swimming around all the beach goers. I would think they were anchovies which is pretty early to be in close but i think the crappy weather has brought them in early

Normally March/April along the east coast is good as the anchovies come in close to shore with the kahawai close behind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:08am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A dusk session at Meola was well worth it last night. Beautiful sunset, plenty of snapper on the chew and just a little bit of wind. Caught fish well into the dark and walked back under torch light

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:34pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice PhotosThumbs Up

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice! The reef is producing well at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 5:00pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out fishing other day and got some nice snapper. One was 30cm I was bringing in and a metre long kingfish tried to smash it. So I just kept the fish swimming around at my feet with the kingfish swirling and lunging at it till it finally managed to get hold of it and took off. Was fantastic 1 minute of my life until it let go. Still had the snapper on. I could have tried to change flies and have a go but felt it would probably have disappeared.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 8:19pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mental Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:31am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wow! That kingfish was determined. Usually they don't hang around very long. Grabbing it was an interesting approach
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 10:12am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those "snapper" flies work well for kingfish!Wink
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  <1 235236237