Shore (Sure) Spots around Houhoura

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore (Sure) Spots around Houhoura
    Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 12:46am
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys,

Need to pick your brains.... Every time I have been up to Houhoura I have had problems with where actually to fish, as I have no real idea of spots, or access points to the possies there.

The NZ fishing map is a bit broad, and non descript I have found, for this area.

I am planning on heading up there in Feb, and I am asking if anyone has got any pointers of where to fish from the shore.  I have tried the rocks at Rawara (nothing) and the wharf (Couple of good Kingies!) and the beach by the campgraound (Stingrays) and the cliffs by the golf course (nothing).

So any hints/tips on where to go round there??  Maybe I am fishing the wrong techniques??

Also, does anyone know where I can hire / borrow a dinghy to fish the harbour there. I had a magic evening there with good snapper and kingfish a few years back.

Thanks in advance.

Trent

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 2:26am
Jo. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so long as you're not in Wellington you are fine
Capitalisation is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."People First New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 7:44am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Trenta - the latest fishing news has an article about the perfect landbased spot. It looks to me like the spot pictured is the southern end of Hendersons beach. Not far from where Tobes cleaned us all out duing the forum trip to Hohoura.

It might be worth a call to Mick, who runs the Pukenui camp. He has a whole bunch of fishing cabins and would know where people are catching them. There was a mad keen landbaser up there when we were there, and he knew all the spots and techniques (live baiting with whitebait for sea run trout from the piped creeks than run under the wellington wharfs? I ask you..)

I've been to Houhora a number of times and done well but the last time we struggled like hell and came back with nothing. Doesn't always fire.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 7:46am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nothing from the rocks at Rarawa??? It does happen but I'd be heading back there as have seen some big snapper come from there over the years but yeah like any spot can have its off days.

Also Hendersons Bay wouldn't be far from there, also worth a go.

I also fished off a ledge on the inside of the Houhoura harbour years ago but cant remember exactly where it was. Between the wharf and harbour entrance i think. Didnt have much luck there anyway from memory.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 3:02pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

end of hendersons if you have a ducky fish the reef out off there all good spots have caught lots of kings in those areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 7:36pm
Chubbs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

3 options :

1. End Of Hendersons - hell walk along the sand - 4wdriveable or 4 wheel bike.

2. Rarawa produces heaps of big Snapper - all the fish you see in the fishing news caught in Hendersons Bay are caught round there. You have to wade the creek and walk round - you can only go so far before you need a kayak/inflatable.

3. Get over the other side of the harbour and walk round to the point or walk over the hill (think this might be private property)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 8:43pm
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys!

Sorry for being a bit thick, but which end of Hendersons Bay??  I get confused with the beaches and road access up there!

Thanks,

Trent

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2005 at 7:29pm
Chubbs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Take the Hendersons Bay turnoff about 10 minutes north of Houhora and drive to end of road and then start walking  south to Greville Point- it's a long walk on soft sand!Climb the farmers fence and walk out to the end of the point.

I remember being chased by some very unfriendly goats a few years back.

To be honest , if you've gone as far as Houhora then you're only about an hour from Cape Reinga - heaps better fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2005 at 8:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Trent.... when are you there? I am taking my son up there to fish for kings in the next week or three, you are welcome on my boat, as long as the weather is good.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2005 at 9:41pm
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey there Smudge,

Thanks heaps for the offer, but I might be a bit late, as I get back to New Zealand on the 18th of Feb, so realistically will be up there around the 20th for a couple of days maybe.

Should be good!

Chubb, thanks for that, exactly the info I am looking for.  When I stand and look from the end of the road, I go a bit blank, thinking, is it worth the walk???  Will give it a crack though.  Cape Reianga and the Parengarenga Harbour are also realistic options too, but where???

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:41am
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just realised I asked the same question about Houhora back in 2005 as what I have just done today (on the 29th of Dec 2022!) Some people never learn huh!