fishing spot around Marlborough

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fishing spot around Marlborough
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:04am
sek View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello to everyone
I am an Italian addicted fisherman, and I'll be in the Malborough area approximatly between the begin of  March and May for work in one winery.
I read and seen lots of amazing stuff from NZ water both fresh and salt.
I do love bot and now I asking the help of you guys for try to spend in the best way my free time expecially because won't be much in the vintage.
I'll be pretty close to cloudy bay and near spring creek....any god spot around there?
I would love to catch one salmon but  rock fishing and surf are my addiction...
So if you were me how do you like to spend you time off?
me some nice spot.
I'll appreciate any suggestion!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:34am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A few Salmon would be about in March, but many would be upriver. Apart from traveling down to Canterbury, Your best chance of a Salmon would be at the mouth of the Clarence but that is about a hour drive from Blenheim, plus the access road can be very rough. 

A few Salmon are taken from the Wairau River, and I caught one a few years back but it typically involves a lot of time on the water. Spinning at the mouth of the Wairau  or its Diversion is good fishing, there is a low chance of getting a Salmon but a good chance of catching a Kahawai which are a fun fish to catch on lighter tackle.  Both river mouths are only about 10 minutes from Blenheim.

Spring Creek holds a decent number of trout, along with most of the local rivers. Even the rivers in town can hold good numbers of trout at certain time of the year. All freshwater fishing (trout and salmon) requires a license which costs about $110 for the year.

Lots of convenient surfcasting spots, anywhere you can access the beach should produce, but the fishing slows down a bit by the end of March. The main targets are Sharks. There is the Crab eating Rig sharks which are fun to target. Larger school sharks and Sevengiller sharks also patrol the beaches and would readily take most fish baits.  Skates are plentiful, but large ones are rate. Would also catch large numbers of Spiny Dogfish and Red Cod. 

Rock fishing on the Coast is not that productive, you would still get the Sharks and Rigs, and if you use Mussel for bait around twilight into night then these a good chance of getting Moki. These a convenient little ledge in Monkey Bay which is about 10 minutes north of Blenheim where Moki can be caught. 

A longer drive, into the Sounds would provide different species. Fishing the rocky points at twilight/night can catch Snapper. Livebaiting through the day can result in a Kingfish. Smaller fish would include Gurnards, Trevally and small Kahawai. Plenty of large Eagle Rays can also be caught on the shallow beaches.  Fishing during the day can be hard, with baits getting stolen by smaller bait fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
sek View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the reply!!
If I understood well I should invest my time in 2 way....when I don't have much time straight to the river with a few spinner for have a try with trout...then down stream casting for Kawakai....
Then if I got more time definitly is worth to try The M. sounds....
Will be hard to find one good rocky spot with deep water where to try for Kings and snapper?
A bout salmon if I'll drive in the southern island would be hard to catch one of them during the end of may?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 5:16pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, if you only have a few hours to spare then spinning for trout in the local rivers, or head down to the river mouths and spin for Kahawai is a productive way to pass the time.  If you are very lucky, you might fluke a Salmon. 

The Sounds fish best in the evenings, or dawn.  A few Kingies are hook each year at Karaka Point just around from Picton, and Snapper also. Most of the good Kingie Points are boat access only. Must say I have not discovered a ideal land based Kingie spot in the sounds, at least not one which can be accessed from the shore.

Snapper can also be caught almost anywhere in the sounds. The small wharf at the grove which is at the head of Queen Charlotte Sounds is surprisingly productive.  Plenty of good points in the Mahua, and kenepuru Sounds. 

If you have half a day or longer to spare, then I suspect its possible at low tide to climb onto the rocks on the Western side of Okiwi Bay. Should have Kingie, Snapper and trevally potential there. 

Fishing from the shore into French pass is another option, but a much longer drive. If you have the time the Pass is certainly worth the drive for the scenery alone. 

I would private message you a few more spots which are worth trying.

I have done very little Salmon fishing, but even the good anglers can struggle to catch them. A mate of mine who is a good Salmon angler said its around 40 hours between fish.  The easiest Salmon River mouth to fish I beleive is the Hurunui in North Canterbury, I never been there so do not know how easy access is but the Salmon are quite close to shore so do not need massive casts.  I see that you have also found fishingmag.co.nz , on these forums it might be worth asking in the Salmon forum itself. 

There is one more option, and probably the easiest way to catch a salmon, that is to fish the Canals in central Otago. Every so often the farms there have Salmon escape into the canals and the fishing for them is quite good. Can also catch obese trout which hide beneath the farms eating the wasted food. But that is not the same as catching a true wild Salmon. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:42pm
Jiggo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone fished around ngakuta bay im heading up there for a weekend in april and wondered if anyone has caught any snapper or cod up there or even kingies have been to pelorous for 5 years and havent caught a single king so I was wondering if queen charlotte could provide with something. Smile

Cheers~Jiggo