Thinning finish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SamMcK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinning finish
    Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 2:48pm
SamMcK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Read on here somewhere about thinning finish but cant locate it now.  What do you use and how much - got some flex coat high build as was the only one available at short notice and its a lot different to what I've used previously - very viscous and bubbles harder to get rid of after application so thought thinning might be one option as prefer more thinner coats than less thick coats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 3:29pm
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Acetone will do it.
Just been using some Prokote from mudhole me rikey velly much!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 4:31pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How many coats you planning on using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SamMcK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:19pm
SamMcK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just a couple - put two (three includeing on underwrap) on a rod just finished but mainly had troubles with bubbles as hard to get them out of the viscous stuff.  Might have to try out the prokote skipjack - the first type I tried I got off Kieren in an unmarked bottle and was the best I've used so far but not sure what it was - possibly threadmaster?  Was a lot more user friendly than my current lot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 9:47pm
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sam it would have been classic rod coat. Also mix slowly also helps with less bubbles
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SamMcK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:40am
SamMcK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Skipjack Skipjack wrote:

Sam it would have been classic rod coat. Also mix slowly also helps with less bubbles

Cool, cheers Skipjack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 9:34am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Put some heat on it once you've put it on the Rod. The bubbles comes right out. I've used a hair dryer, but some times it blows dust. Others very carefully use blow torches.

Not really sure of the reason for doing two thin coats on underwrap. I usuallym do one or two coats over the whole lot. It you're worried about penetration of the epoxy through the binds, its not an issue. Just carve a finished guide that's had one or two coats over everything and you'll see there's plenty of penetration.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SamMcK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 6:40pm
SamMcK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Put some heat on it once you've put it on the Rod. The bubbles comes right out. I've used a hair dryer, but some times it blows dust. Others very carefully use blow torches.

Yeah I just use a lighter and it usually works fine, but not so well with this finish.

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Not really sure of the reason for doing two thin coats on underwrap. I usuallym do one or two coats over the whole lot. It you're worried about penetration of the epoxy through the binds, its not an issue. Just carve a finished guide that's had one or two coats over everything and you'll see there's plenty of penetration.

Yeah sorry explained it wrong - was doing one thin coat for the underwraps to make it easy to wrap overwraps of the same colour (am doing it by hand and find it easier than wrapping straight over the underwrap), one coat on the overwraps to soak into the sides of the guides and one good final coat - was using prowrap and was getting fuzzies etc so the first coat on the overwraps had a few protrusions etc that needed sorting before the final coat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:15pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I pour flexcoat into an aluminum dish then use a heat gun after thirty seconds or so of resting. Then after application use the heat gun again . The brush you use can cause bubbles as well.
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 8:55am
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Skipjack Skipjack wrote:

Acetone will do it.
Just been using some Prokote from mudhole me rikey velly much!
Prokote is AWESOME.  best epoxy I have used to date.

you can get it from Steve at the Fly Shop in Methven - saves on shipping delays and works out about the same cost.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:05am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SamMcK SamMcK wrote:

Yeah sorry explained it wrong - was doing one thin coat for the underwraps to make it easy to wrap overwraps of the same colour (am doing it by hand and find it easier than wrapping straight over the underwrap), one coat on the overwraps to soak into the sides of the guides and one good final coat - was using prowrap and was getting fuzzies etc so the first coat on the overwraps had a few protrusions etc that needed sorting before the final coat.

Okay that makes sense. Gudebrod make anice bobbin holder for their spools, it has aceramic liner which helps avoid those fuzzies you're talking about.

Another way to get rid fuzzies once you have them is to run a flame over the finished wrap before you put epoxy on.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz