24kg Kingi Setup & Boat rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24kg Kingi Setup & Boat rod
    Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 9:21pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Evening All,

Just a quick querry on 24kg stand up setups.

In terms of mostly using them for live baiting for kings, is it better to have normal tip or roller tip?

Also, is there a good length of rod to be used both off the rocks and on a boat?

What would you guys think is the best bang for buck boat rod/reel combo? I don't mind o/h or spin, but just curious as to what are things I should be looking for. If possible I would like to get a 7 or so foot rod that I could use off the rocks and on the boat for straylining.

Any tips would be much appreciated - Heading way up north to doubtless bay over new years with a boat, so would love to take these in my arsenal.

Cheers guys,

Jason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:09pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heaps of choices available for live baiting Kingis.  Comes down to how much $$ U want to spend.
 I do not do any rock fishing 99.9% from boat.  You could go gor a heavy duty spin set up the likes of Fin Nor Off shore reel which will handle rocks and boat fishing. The 9500 or 8500 will still hold a lot of 50lb mono these reels are not expensive.  I use a Penn 9/0  with 15/24kg Sceptre short stroke with 50lb nylon for live baiting. I also use this set up for dragging lures around, catching bait skippys have never caught anything really big but Im sure it will catch what ever I come across. As this set up was what was used for Marlin fishing a few years back.  You could splash out get a really nice Shimano reel for a lot more dollars, there is so much choice I would not like to tell U which one.  As for roller tip/ normal tip might be better to go normal tip as less chance of line getting wrapped around it. Have got rods with both just have to pay more attention to line on the roller tip.  Im also heading North with boat early Jan, Bay of Islands but very tempted to go further.
Might see you up there.
Cheers Muzz
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:27pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah mate you don't need anything special, As far as tip guide is concerned Rollers need maintenance otherwise they sieze up, when you don't want them too.

Avoid Silicone carbide tips if you can, the chip and crack easily when you wind swivels into them.

Any old 24 kg rated rod is going to do the trick for you. have alook around for a 6 foot rod, as opposed to the more common 5 and half footers. You want a bit more clearance for the rocks, most use 7 foot plus but that makes life abit difficult for fishing off the boat. Having said that I'm using a 6 and a half footer on 24 kg for kings.

Reels don't have to be flash, I see that Gofish tackle have the old daiwa seeline 450 on there site for $250 that's as good as anything.

A dawia SL40h or sl50h will also do what you want but without harness lugs. Despite what the aficiandos say you don't have to spend much for chasing kings
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:18am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You dont always need heavy tackle here are some mid sized ones caught using livebait on medium size spin gear. I've caught them upto 50lb on this gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbEzQwhfix0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL 

This was caught on 10kg gear.