Maximizing the flex throughout the rod????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximizing the flex throughout the rod????
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:59pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey, am in the progress of building a light jigging rod. 
I really want to have the whole or most of the rod flex under pressure.
How do you guys get the whole blank to flex???
Does the layout of the grips and guides help giving more flex?
Also heard of chopping down the butt section of the blank a few inches so the whole blank becomes more heavy action?
What do you guys think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 7:22am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You need to be starting with a parabolic jigging blank, which blank are you using?
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 9:54am
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some kilwell one that is 100g off the fibretube website.
Do you think the blank is alrite?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 11:10am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I havent tried that blank, but Kilwell make a quality product and are used by some very highly rated rod builders.
If the blank is a parabolic jigging blank then Im sure it will be fine for what you are building.
100gms is quite a light rod, Im sure that if you load it properly you will be happy with the bend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:11pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OK thanks Panga.
Do you think having a split grip will help to avoid some stiffness?
Gonna walk around to the tackle shops and get some inspiration.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 6:38am
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is the over head or spin you are building?
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 3:52pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Overhead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 4:56pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Building overhead jig rods that bend like bannanas takes alot of thought and care, if it was me I would be thinking about acid wrapping the guides to get the best out of the blank.
ANY blank can be improved by a skilled rod maker, and many blanks are ruined by people who think its just a matter of binding on some guides.
But there is only one way to learn and that is to make what you want and try fishing with it, and if it doesnt feel right admit you made a mistake and have another go at it.Lessons learnt from mistakes are the most valuable. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:36pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Toad2 Toad2 wrote:

Overhead

I would acid wrap it and you will need to choose your guides very carefully
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 11:08am
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whtat it the exact blank that you are using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 11:22am
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will have a look into the acid wrap, haven't seen or held one but thats what the internets for!Smile
Tomatron, the model is GTVTW100G.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 11:47am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Panga Panga wrote:

Building overhead jig rods that bend like bannanas takes alot of thought and care, if it was me I would be thinking about acid wrapping the guides to get the best out of the blank.
ANY blank can be improved by a skilled rod maker, and many blanks are ruined by people who think its just a matter of binding on some guides.
But there is only one way to learn and that is to make what you want and try fishing with it, and if it doesnt feel right admit you made a mistake and have another go at it.Lessons learnt from mistakes are the most valuable. 

Thats some pretty good advice right there.

Don't rush the guide placement, it does take a while to become familiar with the blank. Play with taping the guides on, bending the rod, repositioning, beinding, repositioning.... but you'll be happier with it if you do put the time in. Nothing worse than having a rod in the rack that you aren't happy with I reckon. I've got one hidden away in my rod room that I'm not happy with the colour of the thread. Something that people wouldn't notice but it drives me nuts, I just don't have the time to work on my personal rods right now... one of these days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 2:04pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

Don't rush the guide placement, it does take a while to become familiar with the blank. Play with taping the guides on, bending the rod, repositioning, beinding, repositioning.... but you'll be happier with it if you do put the time in. Nothing worse than having a rod in the rack that you aren't happy with I reckon. I've got one hidden away in my rod room that I'm not happy with the colour of the thread. Something that people wouldn't notice but it drives me nuts, I just don't have the time to work on my personal rods right now... one of these days

That's good advice right there too. Don't believe all the hype about Acid Wrapping, I've yet to be convinced makes any difference at all. Yeah the theory is there, but the harsh reality is that you'd have to be really really clever to notice any difference. Aside from that it's just plain ugly.

As far as Rod flex is concerned it's all in the blank and how much you cut off the butt. If you cut the tip all you're doing is giving away tip action. Trying to turn a fast action rod into a slow parabolic rod by cutting the butt  means you're giving away the Rod's lifting power.

If you want parabolic action start with a proven balnk that still has plenty of recoil and then concentrate on guide placement and you'll be sweet.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fluffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 6:35pm
fluffy1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

That's good advice right there too. Don't believe all the hype about Acid Wrapping, I've yet to be convinced makes any difference at all. Yeah the theory is there, but the harsh reality is that you'd have to be really really clever to notice any difference. Aside from that it's just plain ugly.

As far as Rod flex is concerned it's all in the blank and how much you cut off the butt. If you cut the tip all you're doing is giving away tip action. Trying to turn a fast action rod into a slow parabolic rod by cutting the butt  means you're giving away the Rod's lifting power.

If you want parabolic action start with a proven balnk that still has plenty of recoil and then concentrate on guide placement and you'll be sweet.
Intresting opinion Bigfishbob and they are your thoughts.Kojak custom rods, Reel Rodz, and Synit have been building acids for years now with great success.I too was sceptical until I used one for the first time.
My father put alot of work into acid wrap design because he believed in it. Not just with jigging rods but with softbait rods  ect.Until I used one I realised they are not just cosmetic but they are a better rod.Maybe you should build one?
Kojak Custom Rods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah fluffy I met your Dad a few times and I've seen what your dad has done with acids and no doubt about it they're nice looking rods. Your dad was and the other names mentioned are very good rod builders who also space their guides well and set up the rods nicely. I'd suggest that the supreme performance you'd witness had more  to do with good build technique than the acid wrapping itself.

When a rod is built with a correctly located spine and guides that put the line within 10 mm of the blank centre the turning moment extered about the rod centre is sweet FA.

Funnily enough I just glued the butt section up tonight for a 350gram pe5 rod. I just can't stand the thought of not having my guides all nicely aligned........for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 8:06am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Yeah fluffy I met your Dad a few times and I've seen what your dad has done with acids and no doubt about it they're nice looking rods. Your dad was and the other names mentioned are very good rod builders who also space their guides well and set up the rods nicely. I'd suggest that the supreme performance you'd witness had more  to do with good build technique than the acid wrapping itself.

When a rod is built with a correctly located spine and guides that put the line within 10 mm of the blank centre the turning moment extered about the rod centre is sweet FA.

Funnily enough I just glued the butt section up tonight for a 350gram pe5 rod. I just can't stand the thought of not having my guides all nicely aligned........for now.
I think there is a little bit more to acid wrapping a rod than an easy way to overcome blank twist.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 9:19am
Platinum
Platinum

There might be, I did some more thinking over night and you use less guides for an acid wrap and that can also help a blank at times. I'll start a new thread it might be useful to build acollective opinion around why it makes sense or doesn't, instead of hijacking this thread.