Stick Bait Rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stick Bait Rod
    Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 2:57pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

need some help with building a stickbait rod. what blank do you guys recommend an guides  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 4:59pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CTS BO864-2 Seamaster blank, Fuji K series guides.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 5:00pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate I did a lot of research into getting some blanks in. You could try Blackhole, Temple Reef, Smith, Spinal and others for 2 piece blanks to import. The shipping is the real stinger. It only makes it really reasonable if you get a few or go in with a few others.

Much easier option is to get yours on a local made CTS blank, K series Fuji casting guides.

hah beat me to it
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 5:26pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sweet found the blank. now the guides what sizes would you recommend  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 5:39pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Mark, or anyone, does anyone know what Leon from Offshore uses for his Illusion series. I presume the blank you mentioned is the PSS Illusion series he uses for top water, but can't to find on CTS website what he may use for the softbait illusion series. Interested in building something in between - something in the likes of 7 - 15kg blank.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 5:51pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pe5. pe5. wrote:

For the above blank I used 6 guides - 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 and a size 10 tip. If you need the guide spacings let me know Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 5:55pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

Hey Mark, or anyone, does anyone know what Leon from Offshore uses for his Illusion series. I presume the blank you mentioned is the PSS Illusion series he uses for top water, but can't to find on CTS website what he may use for the softbait illusion series. Interested in building something in between - something in the likes of 7 - 15kg blank.

Not sure what he uses for his SB series rods, probably best to talk to the man himself on that one Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 6:33pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

For the above blank I used 6 guides - 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 and a size 10 tip. If you need the guide spacings let me know Wink
Cheers mate what k series did ya use. An real seat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 7:08pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Mark, 

I see guy's over seas building rods with size 12-16 tips, any drama with the 10 when casting etc?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 8:12pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sam , on my popping rods , PE 5 and under I use size 10 ,with no problems , larger I will use up to a size 16 guide .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:01pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No problems Sam, Im only running 120-150lb leaders. anything heavier maybe go up to a size 12 for the top guide and tip?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:10pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers mate what k series did ya use. An real seat

Fuji BKWAG (SS frame/Alconite ring) and Fuji H-22 seat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 8:32am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

For guide sizes you do need to look at 16 being your smallest guide. It's not just leader size that causes the problems when casting throught the guides it's also the weight of the lures pulling line off the spool with force which can cause the braid to bunch wrap as it runs through smaller guides. Some see this as wind knots but it's more likely bunching as the loops from the spool try to force themselves through the guides at speed/energy.  
You will need to get a 16/top as well and these depending on brand may need to come from over seas as the Fuji agent here dosen't stock them in that sizeConfused
Spacing of the 1st or stripper guide is very important for a rod using a size 10000 Stella or 6000 Daiwa you need a minimum of 590mm from the lip of the spool to the ring on this guide if you want the line to peel off smoothly. Suggested guides and sizes are:

40-MNSG x1, 30-MNSG x1, 25-MNSG x1, 20-MNSG x1, 16-MNSG x2, MNGT-16/top

40L-KWSG x1, 30L KWSG x1, 25-KWSG x1, 20-KWSG x1, 16-KWSG x2, MNGT-16/top

If you go for the newer Fuji KW guides with SIC inserts be prepared to pay up to $300 for the set, you can get the same thing with Alconite for 1/2 this cost and they are more than up to the job but don't be tempted to use the standard height KW 40's or 30 's these are more for surfcasters and you need the "L" as the higher guide has too much flex in the legs on a rod you intend to run over 8kg of drag
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 9:01am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that Graeme, lots of good info there.
Can you please tell me how to correctly measure guide sizes on the Fuji's? Ive been told to measure the diameter of the outside of the insert but that doesnt seem to match up to the Fuji guide specs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 9:43am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I agree ,16 tip all the way!!

Cannot elaborate as well as MIB,but in layman's terms I believe the same.The problems many face are due to the line coils being forced into a smaller end eye or eye's'sss...LOL

As that mitre 10 homo says "big is good" in this case.

as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 10:51am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for that Graeme, lots of good info there.
Can you please tell me how to correctly measure guide sizes on the Fuji's? Ive been told to measure the diameter of the outside of the insert but that doesnt seem to match up to the Fuji guide specs?
Genuine Fuji's are stamped with the size either on the frame or the foot, all are measured on the OD of the insert ring not the ID.
I can't state enough that guide placement as well as guide size will make a huge difference in how the rod performs both in casting and working the lures. We have put together heaps of trial guide setups on the same blanks before settling on the final builds.
 Just one thing to be aware of and we have seen some nice rods butchered due to copying guide placements from other brands.  Unless you have the identical blank it's not a good idea, every manufactures blanks are different and the placements will be done to suit the blanks length, its action and it's power rating. 
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:57am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I found by doing a static test on a blank , the blank will tell me where to put the guides , then I cast it and make changes from there . I do not know if this is the best way , but it seems to work for me .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:04pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What about reel seat placement MIB? Have you found much differnece in preformances or casting distance?