How to fish hard baits

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El Nicko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fish hard baits
    Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 8:53pm
El Nicko View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tried out a Sebile flat shad in the weekend but no luck. Was catching fish with softies (Lime tigers rule), but was not sure about the action to use with the hard baits; tried a slow softie action and a 'normal' action but no takes - gee those flat shads vibrate a lot!
 Any suggestions on the action to use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:58pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cast and let it drop to bottom, lift rod up at a medium pace and slow wind on the drop..the flat shads have wicked movement/vibration so lifting them up off the bottom will get them working, then allowing them to drop back will imitate a wounded bait fish ..good luck 
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El Nicko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 8:45pm
El Nicko View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks of2fsh - will give it a burst!          Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:51pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smashed a bunch of snapper on the Shimano 118 Waxwing (Sand Eel) hard bodied lure the other week....was fishing on a chater with 12 others using ledger rigs so couldnt really fish them the way I wanted so added a 2oz sinker above the lure and plumbed it to the bottom and used a slow retrieve-lift combo....boom....a bit later on I got the opportunity to fish them without the aid of exta lead....cast forward of the drift, allow to sink, slow retrieve-lift combo.....boom!....easily kept up with the ledger rigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:47pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those wax wings sink like that kezz ???
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:56pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup they sure do Mitch....the 118s weigh in at 1 and 1/2 ozs....the beggars swim real hard on the drop too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 8:02am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NEK MINNIT

I believe this was the first snapper caught on a Waxwing in NZ which was promptly followed by 15 or so of it's brethren and was not in a work-up situation either......37ms of water.

Churrr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very cool Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:11pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do the wings at the head do Kezza... are they to impart action, or to hold it steady in an upright axis? Are they head weighted to make them drop nose first?
I saw Boulder got some in the US last year, didn't hear how much use he had with them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:36pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

What do the wings at the head do Kezza... are they to impart action, or to hold it steady in an upright axis? Are they head weighted to make them drop nose first?
I saw Boulder got some in the US last year, didn't hear how much use he had with them though.

Capt. These are similar to surface irons (another name in the US) Cast em', burn them on the retrieve, rod tip down, the wings stop the jig from spinning... No doubt you have them or seen them in the past.

The waxwing is different in shape, as it doesn't have the normal flat side like on most irons hence the need for the wings. Casting surface irons/jigs has been common practice in places like SoCal for tuna, cali yellow tail etc... 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:58pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bingo!....Capt. A...the weight is in the head and the action on them has to be seen to be believed....I like the fact they don't need 2 x trebbles to get them swimming well....hoping to find some kingies on Sunday!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:10am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember Rick Pollock used to bring in the Surface Irons and use them to effect on pursuit.... hell, 20years back I guess, I got a mate to send me some from the States, even used them once on Zambucca when we had a huge tuna ball around us.... and they worked!.... but since then.... damn, I don't even remember where I saw them last (beach house, asparagus packshed, home, home garage or farm boatshed....I got **** scattered everywhere! :-)  )... come to think of it, I think there are a couple in the farm boatshed...
Whats the retail on the waxwings then Kezza, I may have to hunt one or two down some time. Will they have them at FCO yet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:35am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean cuzz will wack a few in the tackle bag
Churrrrrr
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 3:55pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeehaa just got some  in ,the 45g was about 30bucks i think,the others they have are the 60g.
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:01pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kezza a couple of things mate, what rod weight would you recommend for casting the 118, as I'd hate to over stress my current rod, its a Tiny made 6-8 synit, although not doing the surfcast thing may help Embarrassed, & do you have a preferred casting line like the new fireline, cheers.