Down rigging snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down rigging snapper
    Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 9:08am
albert wild View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, found a cool 2 part clip filmed on Port Phillip bay in OZ, lots of guys doing well trolling for snaps down there with hard bods and down riggers in the deeper areas.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scampi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 9:29am
Scampi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Excellent find AW! Very interesting. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:27pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Caught some snapper down rigging in the Tirri channel- good fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:14am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have picked up a cheap DR. off trademe this winter. The intended use is for getting slow trolled livies down to the kings on our local reefs. After seeing the above link and doing some google searching decided to give the snapper a shot.

Have had two goes so far for the some total of 2 KY and 1 couta, but each time out has been a learning curve. I don't think trying something new in the middle of winter when the snapper are the scarcer and the couta thicker is a fair indication.

Using rapala xrap 10 at present and an assortment of odds and ends I have had laying around for years. Will keep you informed if I get this figured out LOL

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:41pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

Have not forgot this am still trying to get that first snapper. KY and couta seem to be the only things that will eat my lures until today and got this Bluecod. So I figure I am getting the lure into the right area lol. This was caught at 90feet over some low foul. Just on the drift with the wind.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:49pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've thought about trying this method out. Towing lives....anyone had much luck towing 30m + lives?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:54pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is my main objective this summer. Had a play last week but had the baits killed by couta. Had to watch the cray pot lines tho.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 5:02pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can see the merit with DRing for multiple species.
The same guy has a YT clip nailing good kingies with the DR .
Top sounder seems vital.
Was thinking the DR with burly bag and lures off the bag/wobble pot would nail gurnard in the West Coast harbours at anchor perhaps?
Seems that most guys who get right into DRing ditch the manual DRs then go electric.
Seem reliable units these days.
Of course fresher water options come into play as well.
Nice bit of TAS.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:31am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well thought I would do a quick update. This has been an abject failure for me not one snapper caught at about a dozen attempts, and to make it worse the last couple of times I have tried and failed have resorted to fishing normal soft bait techniques in the same area and scored snapper straight off.
Don't know kiwi snapper don't seem to go the aussie bling????

Any way I got the downrigger for targeting kings with livies and that is working choice. I will try again later in autumn when things have slowed down some.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:55pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you running braid or wire on the downrigger ?
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:34pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Braid