need help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help
    Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 7:15am
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey guys i need a bit of help in selecting some blanks from killwell, wanting to make up some snapper rods maybe 8-10kg ? oh for stray lining, do killwell do the rest of the components as well

cheers    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 11:00am
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

try giving nagged a pm he works for kilwell and should be able to help you mate
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 11:36am
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 5:27pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey man, I have just built up some live fibers, both 7ft. 1 6-8kg and the other more like a 10kg. Both wicked blanks. The 10kg will be for closer in work and the 6-8 suits deeper water stuff, although if I could do it all again I would have a got a 6'6 for the 6-8kg.

The livefibers work like this:

ZWS = the live fibre range

55=5"6'
60= 6"
70= 7" ect ect

LJ = light weight (6-8kg line weight, but the longer the blank, the heavier they get, ie 6"=6kg where as 7" would be more like a 6-8kg Subtle, but there is a differnce).

MJ = mid range (anywhere from 8-12kg from what i understand).

XJ = 15kg, even more for the longer blanks.

The blanks hot off the mandrale are what they call black spiraflex. They CAN be sanded and painted, the main colours being red and blue, but check because for small orders they will only paint what ever colours they have in stock due to cost and pot life of the paint. Please note that by sanding them back you will be sanding back the fibers, which can/will/might affect they strength of the rod IMO.

It took me aggges to get my head around it, but that is my understanding. The blanks I brought were:

7 foot 6-8kg = ZWS70LJ
7 foot 10kg = ZWS70MJ

Cost wise you are looking at about the $60 mark per blank. Cheap as chips.

I rate the MJ as a blank with heaps of balls, more like a 10 -15kg blank if you want to put the heat on the big snappa.

Beyond this, is the XXJ and XOS which are 24 and 37kg stand up blanks, only done in 5"5'.

I rate my live fibers, they are hefty as hell and have a nice fast tapered action.

They have hundreds of blanks to choose from, the hard part is knowing which one to buy!
SO for a 8-10kg blank for straylining in the shallows for big snapper I would go with the ZWS70MJ, and if for pannies ect ZWS70LJ, both in spiraflex. 

Kilwell do also sell some gear, not too sure how extensive their range is you'll have to ask but I have just brought some 400mm 28 and 25mm EVA and some butt caps. I'm sure if it is just for the odd set of guides or what not then they will flick them off if they have them lying around.

Please note that all of the above is only what I can figure from my email contact with kilwell and please correct me if anything is incorrect.

See this link for a guide.

Also, kilwell have this listed on their web site now:

Hope this helps!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 5:29pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh, there is also a differnce between the ZXS and the ZWS. Please ask first!