1,2,3kg blanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1,2,3kg blanks
    Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:24pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wanting to make a light weight rod for 1kg and 2kg. Anyone got any ideas? wanting to buy local, but can't se too many choices!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:00pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

CTS do a 2kg blank - going on their other stuff - I'd say tit woud be top noth ......might get something light for mudfish off them myself...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:09pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

O yeah, sounds like it could be worth a look, but if it is also going off their other stuff it will cost about $200! Haha, but as you say, you pay for what you get. I see acid rod sell some 1-4lb and 2-6lb blanks in 5 and 6ft respectively. And priced at $9-$25 if you buy a few of them it might be worth while even with a shipping bill, which I have just inquired about

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:28pm
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Are u sure you want to go that light tom? funny how you looked at that 3kg and asked if it was 1kg, maybe go for 3kg for a start
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:04pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was using a saltfly rod mate for 2k it could do 1 no worries, had a spinning reel on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:24pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

THE "HASTINGS"  blanks are wicked,ive had 2 built up for light line s/b fishing,one was 5 to 10pd rated and it was wicked,fished 1 pd fireline over it and was a great rod 
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:27pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are a number of blanks to look at , it depends on how much you want to spend , I have found there is a big differents in preforance from cheap to exspensive , remember be happy with what you can afford , if it doe's the job , all is good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 6:21pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent a bit of time sifting through mud hole and finally found some that might do the trick. Some not so cheap, others sound reasonable. It's always going to be hit and miss though without being able to have a bend and see the action first. 

Started a jellytip today. It's supposed to be a 2-4kg blank but 4kg, even 6 would be more suited. Will put some pics up when I finish them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:12pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what blanks have you looked at thru mud hole ??? kojak made me  quite a few from mudhole blanks,calstars and hastings were the best
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:48pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:17pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

big call, i wouldnt go for either..ive had a couple of rods from unkown manufacturers made that were just crap,unless you have spoken to someone that has had one made its a risk..  i would sugest going for a slightly heavier rated blank. In general ive found alot of the american blanks to be noodly and not have enough grunt,you need to get one slightly heavier than you  want when purchasing..even on light line you need the mid section to have a bit of power to help set the hook, the hastings 701 is a good rod for 1kg and  the 702 for 2kg to 3kg,ive had both these and had great sucess with good size snapper and recomend them both.there is also a calstar GX7 ( not the GFX7 )which is a good rod for 3kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:24pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mmm seems hastings have moved to colorado and mudhole no longer stocks them, PM  fluffy 1 on this site and ask if hes got one he will sell you..hes got heaps of blanks never know your luck he may have just what your after 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:23pm
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know Go Fish had a load of light 1-3kg 6 ft blanks  going cheap this was some time ago might be worth a look and have a bend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 6:37am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mudholes MHX spin , are worth a look , I have built on a number of the MHX blanks ,very good value and a nice blank ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 8:13am
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also Hastings blanks (Graphite USA) are built the same way as the CTS duel helix core (only other manufacturer to do so).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 4:36pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't seem to find the hastings ones, by the sounds of it they had a clearance sale a while back .. MHX blanks are looking good value.