Le Vasa resort

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimmy James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Vasa resort
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:15pm
Jimmy James View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there.

Just had 6 nights at La Vasa resort about 15 minutes from Apia airport.

Fishing wasn't the priority but managed to bring a fly rod. Second day I went for a cast at the end of the rock wall where there were loads of baitfish often getting busted up by bigger fish (always just out of reach with rod in hand and so close you could see the colours of the big trevally). I managed to hook up with something that just busted me in half a minute on a reef about 50 metres from where I hooked it. Was exciting though.  

I managed to get out for some bigger game with the guide from the resort on the trolling gear and landed this little fella. Hes got a great boat and is a good guide - it was 750 tala for 4 hours or NZ$420ish.
On the last day I managed to hook and land a 7-8lb small GT on the fly rod on the last day (naturally the day I didn't have a camera).

Was a nice simple resort with everything you need and I am sure if someone was a more competent fisherman than I (not hard) you could catch plenty of trevally sighted on poppers whilst the missus lies 50m away by the pool who serve cold cheap Vailima.

A good spot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 10:12am
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Choice, sounds like ya had a very relaxing Holiday. Is that a long boat? Back to the real world sux aye! We got back from Vanuatu 2 weeks ago, didn't catch much but had a great time! Report here  

FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 10:22am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is quite a nice doggie there, how much, about 12-15kg? Interesting to see the fish hit a surface skirted lure, did they run any diving lures around there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimmy James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:12pm
Jimmy James View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah probably more like 10kg than 12kg I think.

Nah no diving lures everything was running just sub surface.

The boat was the one from the resort but I reckon it was very well set up for fishing it was a 5.5m key west sportsman - having looked online you could pick one up for around $US15k - any idea on what it would cost to transport here?

And yes back to reality sucks! Although after this weekend I feel like I need another holiday!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 7:36am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Jimmy James Jimmy James wrote:

Yeah probably more like 10kg than 12kg I think.

Nah no diving lures everything was running just sub surface.

The boat was the one from the resort but I reckon it was very well set up for fishing it was a 5.5m key west sportsman - having looked online you could pick one up for around $US15k - any idea on what it would cost to transport here?

And yes back to reality sucks! Although after this weekend I feel like I need another holiday!

had a look at that resort when i was there last year, looked goodThumbs Up

cheapest way to get a boat back from USA is to put it in a container. That Keywest would fit in a 20' container easy so would cost less than $5k to bring back. Dont forget you have to pay 15% GST on boat + shipping costs at this end.
You should be able to get a fairly new key west for that price from USA at the moment
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:59pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lads (and Ladies) I have done my tour of duty in PNG (18months) and now stationed in Samoa for two years!!
Been here for 2 weeks and yet to get out for a fish but its high on the list of "to do's".

I hopefully will be able to post reports and photos form the Tropics.... Great not having to get about with out a gunThumbs Up