Mixing epoxy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing epoxy
    Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:42pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How do you guys mix epoxy. I always seam too get alot of bubbles ? Do you guys let it stand for awhile or what's the trick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are getting bubbles spread it out on tin foil 
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:10pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Swt I'll try 2night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:18pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mix in small amounts (20ml is more than enough on all but the biggest rods) - I use those small plastic shot glasses. Mix slowly and you should get minimal bubbles. Let sit for a few mins before use and you'll find most bubbles will dissapear.
Also, Store your Epoxy in the hotwater cupboard when not in use - keeps the viscosity down (especally over the winter months.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:45pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

x 2 on what Marke says .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 1:57pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mixing on tin foil is a good way to go. - bubbleless expoxy start from when and how you take it out of the bottles.....if you use a syringe - do it SLOWLY so you dont draw air in at the time - same thing when you squeeze it out - nice and slow.  I usually put the resin down first onto tinfoil - then the hardener in the middle of the resin - I use the top of my epoxy brush to mix it - nice small circles - mix slowly - keep the tip of the brush on the surface - dont lift it - if you do- you trap air.  it usually take 2-4 minutes to mix it right - goes from clear to streaky to clear again.  let it sit for a minute to get the bubbles (if any) to the top - use a gas torch to lightly go over it - to break the surface tension and release the trapped bubles 

- epoxy works thermotrophically - so it gets warm when it sets due to the chemical reaction - if you spread it ou on tinfoil  - it does not have the depth/concentration to go off quickly - so it is a double good idea - plus when you're done - you just screw up the tinfoil and into the bin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 3:05pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I also thin my Epoxy down - this will also help as the air bubbles can rise and escape much easier through a thinned (lower viscosity) mix.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:35pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good tips cheers. Mark what are you thining with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth27934 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:05pm
Gareth27934 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't thin epoxy it'll weaken the structure. Mix smaller batches and work it more.

I put my epoxy in a vacumn chamber and suck the bubbles out of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:33pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pe5. pe5. wrote:

Good tips cheers. Mark what are you thining with

I just use normal Epoxy thinners. 4 or 5 drops per 15ml is all you need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dazza74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:07pm
Dazza74 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just warm the epoxy with heat gun when mixing, will go real thin and clear and provides a better mix also. Will thicken again as it cools.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:47pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thin my first sealer coats right down, almost by a third. That lets the epoxy really soak into the thread and get right in deep. It works great, even more so if you use bigger threads. What ever size you use you'll find once you've sealed the thread your next coats will have far fewer bubbles.
Obviously you can't go thinning your top coats right down though.