Squid in Blenheim/Picton area?

Page  <1 678
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iceman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:28pm
iceman666 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caught a nice squid this week in Waikawa.

A lot bigger than summer squid and super tasty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 2:56pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great thread, well done. Inspiring but sounds like hard work....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iceman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:23pm
iceman666 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone been out lateley? has caught any squid?

Winter time up north is when they do most of their squid fishing.

Winter is apparently bigger and more squids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boowacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 8:54pm
boowacker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fascinating read, very cool. I saw a heap at Port Gore a couple of weeks ago and have regularly picked them up as bycatch in the inner QC. Anakiwa wharf may be worth a look with the light going most nights. Never considered the marina, having a boat there may make overnight squiddin easier too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:19pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - had a quick flog of the water at Waikawa -plenty of bait fish around
but didn't see any Squid.
Really went  to try the new rod out.It is a  Safina Pro rod with a reel.
I got it real cheap at the Warehouse - it's heaps better than the old wrecked trout rod
that I have been using.
OK...now I have to wait till the Squidys return...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 10:55am
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out last night - high tide and the moon was out - but the water was a bit murky.
Still had fun and there was a lot of bait fish about.
"Borrowed"a piece of tentacle and got the fish.
First catch of the "season"!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:21pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Everyone - It's Jutte here .
It has be slow the last 3 years re the Squid fishing as I have moved back to Christchurch. However last weekend I had to go to Blenheim for a wedding - so the  squid jigs came along as well !
The night was warm - with no moon and there was a stiff breeze blowing when I arrived at the Waikawa fuel jetty.There seemed to be a couple of old ink stains but nothing really to get excited about.
After a few casts I saw quite a few small squid zoom over for a look
they were pretty small.I flogged the water to a foam - tried different colours and even the Bic jigs. No go at all.I finally tried a really slow retrieve and finally got one - yes it was really small - but it was a squid!
Unfortunately I had only one night at Waikawa - the good news is the over the next few weeks the squid are going to get bigger and meaner.
So anyone in Blenheim head on down to the Waikawa marina - because the squid are there.
Meanwhile I'm stuck back in Christchurch...
Good Luck !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Young Muzza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:36am
Young Muzza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys ....  Muzza the JAFFA (Just Another Fisher From Auckland) here. I'm looking to pick any local knowlege here.I'm working at a place down end of Lagoon Rd week after next. We have our own wharf .. whats the likelihood of squid being there? are they being caught in the harbour at the moment??
We are staying at a bckpackers and I aint too interested in spending the night talking to Klaus and Gunther, so thought I would wet me lures.
Thanks
Page  <1 678