Whangaroa.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whangaroa.
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:43pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whangaroa is an all weather anchorage, from mud and sand holdings, as you enter the harbour you pass Kingfish Lodge on your port side, you can if you wish call the lodge on VHF channel 62 and can stop ashore for a meal or a quiet drink or two, they have their own anchorages or you can tie off at their wharf, you can also stop at whangaroa and the lodge will send there water taxi to get you, it is to be noted that kingfish lodge is only accesable by water.

As you pass the lodge still on your port side is what is known as the eastern arm there is good anchorage all through here and you can if you wish get water from the water boy for a small fee of $5

to starboard is the western arm, a lovely anchorage and a nice beach for the kids to swim and frolic.

as you travel down the harbour you can see the high cliffs which remind you some what of Fiordland, there is resonalbe fishing all year round in the harbour and very good in the summer months.

Heading up the harbour and off the port bow is Radcliffes bay named from the residents who life there, at the Radcliffes wharf there is a floating jetty where you can get fuel, deisel only and you will need some sort of card to operate the machie, a simple eftpos card will suffice here. to be noted there is no water here.

directly opposite on the starboard bow is Totra North, again there is fuel and water here.

From the clansman you can travel further up the harbour and you come to the marina, you can book a berth or stay on the break water, it is as simple as calling the marina office on channels VHF 12 OR 62.
you can stop here and have a drink in the world famous Whangaroa Sportfishing Club where the beverage is cold and the hospitality firendly you can also have a meal whether that be lunch or dinner, dont forget to sign the visitors book, across the road there is the Marlin Hotel where all are welcome to come and dine or have a drink.
A 5 minute walk up the road brings you to the Boyd Gallery, a shop and a go to guy who can point you in the right direction.

I hope that may answer a few questions you may have if you venture into my neck of the woods, to stay here is a privalidge so please leave the area as you find it, the local are very proad of there water ways, enjoy your stay it is well worth the time taken to visit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:28pm
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Blue Asparagus.
Brought my 19' boat up from Auckland for a week in Feb, staying with my brother in Totara North, but struggled to get into the fish. Fished around Stephensons and in the Harbour. Any marks/pins elsewhere you can suggest for this winter for kingies maybe? Any other suggestions/advice welcomed.
Tinca ( Clive Evans)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote STEVIE WONDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:36pm
STEVIE WONDER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice write up BA and visiting your fair place is now defo on my to visit before i die list.CheersThumbs Up
ONLY WHEN THE LAST TREE HAS DIED AND THE LAST RIVER BEEN POISONED AND THE LAST FISH BEEN CAUGHT WILL WE REALISE THAT WE CANNOT EAT MONEY.
NATIVE AMERICAN CREE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

cheers guys happy to help, here are a few GPS marks you can use when your up here, they are well known spots but all Ok here are some marks for Whangaroa and nth.
Cav sea mount. 34.43.67 173.58.53
Clay Works 34.52.17 174.03.15
Whangaroa Canyons 34.44.11 173.59.74 or 34.43.82 173.43.02
Garden Patch 34.30.98 173.27.00
Parenga Canyons 34.25.75 173.16.91
Taheke 34.57.72 173.59.08
hold fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:13pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I love Whangaroa, despite the fact that I live in Kerikeri and the BOI is a 10min drive I fish Whangaroa & the Cavali's 90% of the time.

One of the truly great things about the place from my point of view is the sheer volume of bait fish; I haven’t bought bait for several years now.

Also a good ramps with reaonable parking both Whangaroa & Totra North sides. Does get fairly full over the high season & please if it is busy have the courtesy to get ya boat ready before you sit on the ramp. They are both double ramps as well, must say it does shorten the fuse a little when you get a jaffa parked right in the middle for 15min while they load up etc.

For those with a small boat (mines 16ft & real narrow) the harbour entrance can fish well, particularly change of light (the only time I bother these days). The harbour holds fish but mostly small, although often lots of big Kahawai

Northern side of Arrow rocks is a regular stop for me, there’s a collection of reefs & foul that runs most of the way across to Stevie’s. Usually has fish somewhere on it.

Also the cliffs between the harbour entrance & Taupo bay fishes well most of the year. April-June Kingi's can be in plague proportions, usually nothing big but good 10-15kg fish.

If ya want to go a bit further the area around cone rock (NW of Frear point) can be very productive, lots of little pins about.

Also the Northground on a calm day, this is an area of reefs 1.7NM NNW off the NW end of Stevie’s. On a chart I think there is a spot reading of 34m which is the top of the main pin. Its a big area though with lots of little pins & often plenty of Kings.

Hope this helps, well worth a visit, the scenery alone stands out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 4:26pm
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks. This is all good info for me. My brother bought a house at Totara North and I will be towing my new (new to me that is!) 19'boat up from Auckland whenever I can, although most likely not until early summer as I'm busy down here most weekends over the winter. Had a week there last Feb but spent most of the time scouting around the harbour and across to Stephenson's trying here and there without much success. I have the GPS co-ordinates now for the Ruahine Shoal, but I dont know if it's worth the effort of getting out there. Again, without local knowledge the first few trips to a new spot often as not ends up as a scouting mission without too much caught. I would like to find some kingie action but other than picking a feature like a headland, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where my best chances would be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:32pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can highly recommend Capt. Phill from Reel life charters. Although we had very slow day out just recently, he really put the effort in to put us above the fish - local knowledge and experience in abundance.

Pity only the rat kings wanted to play that day - I'll be back for another trip later in the year. Beautiful area of the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:42am
Titanium
Titanium

Just a brief update for the xmas period.

fuel is available form both wharves, $1.66lt for deisel, there is no petrol the closest is Kaeo.
water available up the eastern arm, water at the marine is not suitable for drinking, a reminder of 5kts in the harbour, dont be the 1st to get stung by the police patrol boat up here.

the club and the pub will be open as will the boyd gallery for general shopping.

as always be safe in and on the water, fly your flags etc and have a great time in the jewel of the north.

Happy Holidays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chris1070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:47pm
chris1070 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

10 days up there starting Tuesday.  Cannot wait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surfwomble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 10:44am
Surfwomble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

we are heading to the harbour in two weeks and have hired a house boat - I would love any advice around fishing and collecting scallops within the harbour if possible - thanks heaps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 2:52pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Surfwomble Surfwomble wrote:

we are heading to the harbour in two weeks and have hired a house boat - I would love any advice around fishing and collecting scallops within the harbour if possible - thanks heaps

The scollaps more or less completely disappeared 2 or 3 seasons ago.