Game fishing & jigging knots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game fishing & jigging knots
    Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post your pics/illustrations/links in this thread for knots suitable for game fishing and jigging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:52pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good idea for post, whats the best (and easiest) knot for connecting heavy jigging braid to heavy mono leader? i'm sure i spotted it in the heavy metal section but can't spot it now. If anyone can enlighten me please chuck it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Pretty much the universal answe will be the PR knot, can I tie one? No.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:01pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is what I use:

Dead easy to tie and has never failed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 5:54pm
Striper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats a variation on an albright knot
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you, hahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:38pm
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

PR knot for connecting braid to mono leader & now i'm crimping my mono to my solid ring.

PR knots are amazingly easy to tie with a little tuition.

100% knot for tying mainline to ball bearing swivel for game fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 1:43am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Making a windon leader. This is a very simple way to save your money, you must have faith in the gear you make and use.......

Ok I am making a 200lb windon, it will have a 400lb insert to assist the 400lb bite leader to the lure.
You will need, 200lb dacron, 400lb mono, a knife a lighter, binding cotton or braid, fly tying glue.

Ok cut your leader to length mine in total are about 22' 
.ok cut your mono insert...
.burn the end to form a knob and make it smooth with wet finger tips
.now cut the mono but only just to knick the mono this will allow the mono to bite into the Dacron and not slip.
ok slowly feed the mono up inside the dacron, it will depend on how much you want but generally mine are about 2' inserts.
.slide it up and feed the dacron down 
.ok so your away now do it as far as you want....
.so you have got it down the dacron about 2' now get fly tie bobbin and spin cotton down over about an inch of dacron and down over the mono
.done about an inch and tied off so the cotton wont undo
.apply the fly tieing glue or paint and allow to dry
.ok so you have the insert done, now is the time to form the small joining loop to the other end...
get you dacron and burn the end into a spear shape, now remember to make it smooth or it will catch as you insert it back into it self.
make a large loop in the dacron, this will tell you how much to insert and leave a nice wee loop.
.ok squeeze and work the dacron until you can insert the pointy part you just made.
.slowly push/force it into the dacron.....
.ok its away and keep sliding it inside it self by bunching up the dacron, this allows for an easy slide.
.ok now you have a large loop so keep going.....
.here is the small joining loop, you decide on how big you want to make it.
.here is the finished product..
these are very easy to make and I have caught many many marlin on them 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 10:10am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was excellent Steve how about showing us your No Name or Spencer Knot?Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:22pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is a knot I have been using for more years than I can remember, I showed it to a magazine writer and he loved it and published the knot, I use it to fish for everything from Jacks to marlin.
you will need your 2 lines here I am using 80lb mono joining to 300lb mono.
Scissors and a bit of patience to get it right then you can do it in a pitching boat.
.FOLD THE HEAVY MONO leave a decent tag end.

.take the lighter line and pass it through the heavy eye you just made and again a decent tag end.

.twist the line around the heavy stuf about 6 times heading towards the heavy tag end.

ok so your turned it up now put the thin tag end through the heavy loop

ok wet it out and slide it all up, dont yank or tear at it this will burn the line.

. synch it up nice and tight

trim up the tag ends

.looks slim and tidy

if you are using thin line like braid then double the braid or nylon, you dont have to do a normal double but what I call a false double, hope that helps mate as I say I use nothing else to join lines of all diameters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greywulff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 8:10pm
Greywulff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

BA this is like an Albright except wound the opposite way Question 

Your not walking on water while I'm fishing here.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:34pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still dont understand why would you go for all the trouble to make the wind on and you can finish a PR in couple of minutes.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 8:20am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has or is anyone using the PR knot for mono to mono instead of a windon leader when they are gamefishing , I always thought it relied on braid biting into the mono but looks like I'm wrong ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:30pm
Rockyw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does anyone use the FG knot rather than the PR knot for joining
a heavy leader to braid, seems easier to tie than a PR knot and no
tools needed ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:48pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I use both but am leaning towards the FG.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:39pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

with lil bit of practise pr knot is very easy , although does look complicated its pretty simple just keep ya half hitches tight especially last few up too burnt mono or fluro tag end and get tha finishing knot sussed . should have no probs with it coming loose if it does u not doing it right have seen some shockers even in a recent coast to coast mag guy had pics of a terrible method .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carl hurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:48am
carl hurley View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FG peace a piss
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:18am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

FG Knot is what Im be using for Braid to Mono. There seem to be plenty of ways to achieve the same result and this is how im doing it