EGI Rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EGI Rod
    Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:51am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where can i get a squid fishing rod?
An Egi rod, and for how much?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

reckon the 3-5kg Veritas  rod would be a good option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:14pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

berkeley egi rod are about 250,you only need a 1000 size reel with very light braid,main thing is the rod has to be ultra light
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:59pm
gulfguru View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

1-2kg veritas would be good option with 1000 size reel. or just buy proper squid rod and reel cant beat them really

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 3:22pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

weve caught so many squid on our softbait rigs using 10-15lb fluro. i mean hundreds. dont be fooled into spending more money on gear you dont really need. squid fishing is a food gathering exercise nt really sport fishing, save your money for something that really pulls. lol like a jigging set!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SALTIST 30HA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 3:45pm
SALTIST 30HA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i saw bait station has some new egi rods in dont no how musc or if they are any good mite be worth a look
sweating like a lesbian in a fish shop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:04am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got a Daiwa E-Gee 83m and it's a beautiful rod. In saying that the only reasons I bought a specialized set up is that I found my SP set ups weren't that suitable cause I only use overheads and I just could not cast the smaller 2-3.5 squid lures very well. So in my case it's great but really I think Mr Plastic made some good points too. The daiwa I got retails about $400-450 I think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:39pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You can get Ocean Angler Calamari Sticks for $199.00 just over 8 ft designed for the job.What I used last season. PM me for your local stockist.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 4:45pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Berkley Egi rod 7'6" is one of the best money for value egi rod you can get in this country.
I have been  eging for squid over 9 years but I am still very happy with my 3-5kg soft bait rod as well

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:11pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I agree with Tony 3-5 softbait rod will do it (spin).  If your reel has two spools fill one with very light braid and light fluro and presto..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote egifreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 3:55pm
egifreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Egi rods are a speatialty item that many companies have released without even knowing what egi is, most cheap egi rods are simply a 2-4kg rod with low ride guides that are no different to a 2-4kg soft plastic rod. That said I have 12 egi outfits that vary in length weigh at budget with my cheaper outfits costing between $400  and $600 including reel and line with my more high end out fits costing in excess of $3000. Do not be sucked into the marketing of the word egi as many did here in Australia a couple of years ago, an egi rod has multiple tapers and is designed to both cast and work egi where as a soft bait rod is a single to dual taper that is designed to cast small light weigh plastics and work with light twitch action. Egi fishing is a very aggressive style of fishing so the reason for gear to suit is paramount, light mechanical jigging done horizontally is not for every one and can take some time to get used to.

I am not saying you can not catch squid without this gear, however, I am saying you will catch more and bigger squid with the right action and egi which does required specialty gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 4:45pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by egifreak egifreak wrote:

Egi rods are a speatialty item that many companies have released without even knowing what egi is, most cheap egi rods are simply a 2-4kg rod with low ride guides that are no different to a 2-4kg soft plastic rod. That said I have 12 egi outfits that vary in length weigh at budget with my cheaper outfits costing between $400  and $600 including reel and line with my more high end out fits costing in excess of $3000. Do not be sucked into the marketing of the word egi as many did here in Australia a couple of years ago, an egi rod has multiple tapers and is designed to both cast and work egi where as a soft bait rod is a single to dual taper that is designed to cast small light weigh plastics and work with light twitch action. Egi fishing is a very aggressive style of fishing so the reason for gear to suit is paramount, light mechanical jigging done horizontally is not for every one and can take some time to get used to.

I am not saying you can not catch squid without this gear, however, I am saying you will catch more and bigger squid with the right action and egi which does required specialty gear.
I know this was a long time ago but what a brilliant post this was from egifreak
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:42am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont know if you get "Hearty Rise" egi rods over there but i have two and have found them excellent......I use a 3000 reel with mine....very light and can use that reel to soft bait as well....only 190 grams for the reel.......I agree you dont have to have an egi rod...but its easier to work the jig and enjoyable to use.......Caught heaps on mine.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.