knot to join tapered shock leader

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knot to join tapered shock leader
    Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:11am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats the best knot to join tapered shock leader to the mainline?

Was just going to use back to back unis but maybe too bigger knot?

Hope all the experts aren't out fishing the comp!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 12holden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:16am
12holden View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have always used back to back uni's, they hold well.  I used to use 6 turns in each knot, but have been using 4 lately which makes a slighty smaller knot.  It has held up well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:26am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For distance casting (like i will be for the Nats on saturday) i'll be using back to back uni knots.
I also use it when I'm fishing too, i try not to have too many things dragging in the water, so uni knots for everything from main to leader and leader to sinker swivel and uni to trace hook too.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:29am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/TaperedShockleaderknot.html

also, why aren't you out fishing Mouthu? LOL

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys think i will use the back to back uni then not point going away from a knot i know how to do!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:06pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can try some UV knot sense gooo. It helps keep the knot flowing through the guides. Just gooob on in the shade, spin to get it nice and tapered then expose to sunlight.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:23pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brenton - isnt that just a blood knot?

Mark Mort - better retie that - seems there meant to be opp ways , not the same way...oh well still held!  LOL

Also - heres that Tony Pena knot I was talking about - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/pr-knot-test-results_topic30867_page2.html
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:37pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah, if the lines are equal thickness, then the blood knot is king of strength, has a very nice and low profile so long as the line wraps play nicely when you tighten it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:06am
rocko View Drop Down

try The Albright knot?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:49am
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would use the blood knot for lines of the same thickness. 
However instead of using those really expensive tapered shock leaders just use some normal good quality line and check out the slim Beauty knot, 
http://www.netknots.com/html/slim_beauty_knot.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:46pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does an FG knot work for tapered shock leaders when using braid to leader?
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom