Advice wanted for softbaiting on the west coast.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice wanted for softbaiting on the west coast.
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:35am
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi wanting to give soft baiting a try.I fish out of Raglan & wanting some info on tackle,lure size,techniques e.t.c. suitable for west coast.
slow jigging?or using deepwater?
any info would be appreciated.
Do many people use softbaiting on the westcoast?when down the boat ramp still alot of bait fishing gear on boats
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:44am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've tried it a few times out there and had great success! I used 1/2 oz jig heads and Gulp Nuclear Chicken jerk shads....I found getting a good berley trail going worked well and kept the fish on all day. I would take some bait out there though as sometimes they seem to switch off soft bait and go onto dead bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:47am
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for that.
are you fishing in shallow water?
i do alot bait fishing & thinking of trying closer in with softbaits to avoid the sharks & barracouta(which have turned up already hook one yesterday when out fishing)
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:11am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was fishing in about 15 meteres of water and once the berley gets going they were hitting it as soon as it hit the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've had some good soft bait action in close behind the breakers in maybe 10m off the Manukau, not given it a fair go out deep, mainly because of the amount of kahawai around when we've tried.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ragman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:08pm
ragman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out on charter boat from rags one day this guy was puting nuk chicks on ledger rig and slaying terikey in about 60 mtsThumbs Up