Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1 181920
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:06am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys Im replacing some guides on an old Killwell 24kg stand up trolling rod. Ive been trying to find out what is the right kind of material for wrapping guides onto the blank and cant find anything. Does it have to be a specific type os guide wrapping/rod building thread? Or can you use braid? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best to use proper rod building thread. Check out Gofish in auckland, probably no point buying from overseas. Heck someone on here might have enough spare they can give you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:12pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok guys exp;lain to me why this has happened please..... forgot to add this is only 2 months old

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 10:49pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Have seen this before and the cause can be three fold... Firstly the blank has taken a small knock, doesn't have to be much and sometimes you won't even see it. The the blank itself won't be damaged but the epoxy around the site is hard and brittle and lifts away from the blank causing it to eventually crack and peel. Happens more often on factory rods where they have used a UV cured epoxy and not had good adhesion to the blank... It can be a mission to repair it as the epoxy wants to keep lifting the more you peel it back for repair... UV cured epoxy is a prick for this as its exposed to UV light everytime you use the rod and some of the cheaper UV epoxy keeps hardening until its that hard and brittle you need to do a total strip to repair it.
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:56pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used Flexicoat not UV cured- custom built- 

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 3:26pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I think the answer lies with the rod builder Mark.. He or she will know how the build was done etc and will be the best person to ask... Like I said I have seen this happen but mainly with UV cured resins...
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 9:28pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey team, i have an old Okuma e glass/graphite 15kg rod that i'm replacing the guides of. Loved this rod the action was great and would pull in skippies and kings no probs until the chrome guides started to fall apart. I have almost finished and its looking pretty good but I can't get the old tip top off! I've tried heating it with a lighter but it won't budge… Any ideas? I'm reluctant to shorten the blank
Cheers 
Stefan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 9:39pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is it bound on as well as being glued on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 10:51pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You have to be careful not to apply too much heat otherwise it will damage the blank underneath the old tip... Do you have a Dremel... This may sound a little over the top but I have had to do it on a couple of Game rods that had old tips on them..

You need to get the thin slitting disc and use the flex cord attachment.. have the tip of the rod held reasonably firm and carefully cut along both sides of the tip... you don't need to go all the way through the metal but the cut either side will loosen the pressure allowing the tip to come free... If you don't have a dremel with a flexi cord bring the rod to me and I will slit the tip for you... 
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 9:31am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks very much Graeme, I think I might have something that will do the trick. If I can't manage it I'll drop you a line
Cheers 
Stefan 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 3:32am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bugger my 6'6" is now a 6'5" . I must have heated the tip to much prior to my post. What you warned me not to do Graeme.... it just snapped off. Good news is the tube still fits over the end so no biggie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:37pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi guys, I have got a few Calstar blanks turn up, 

question, the blank is very heavy at the butt end, now the wall is very thick here the blank is nice and shiny till about 8 inches from the but then it is rough, do I cut this area off or use it still?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:41pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's how the calstars come, no need to cut it off unless you want it shorter for some reason.
What calstars did you get?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

thanks for the quick reply, cant remember but they are 15kg sticks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 9:19pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Yellow or Green Sticker near the butt has the description written on it BA. Let us know what you got, sounds like they're e-glass by the description of the butt.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 9:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

sorry guys my bad they are seeker blanksEmbarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 2:48am
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Incredible

6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:51am
Fishard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gidday,

I'm looking at getting into rod building and trying to determine the best blank to buy. I want to build an awesome snapper strayline rod, 6-10kg (13-22lbs) or there about with a medium to fast action. I want to build it up as an overhead. I am looking for either a graphite or composite graphite rod. rod length 6'6" or 7'

I have looked at the kilwell livefibre, Seeker, super seeker and Black Steel, MHX LT saltwater, CTS Gamemaster.

I'm open to suggestion, I look forward to your recommendations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 10:32am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 9:41am
vixen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yes I need to work on numbers 1 and 2
Page  <1 181920