Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 791792793
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:54pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by amelinium amelinium wrote:

How long must one donate to the tackle gods before catching good fish :) ?[DIV]About three weeks into owning the Mac420 and we have been gaining boating proficiency and have been donating a lot of tackle to the sea over the last while.[/DIV][DIV]When we arrived at Seaview around 0830 this morn there were lots of trailers, the harbour was calm and we headed out to South Coast (note to self, trail boat to Moa Point next time).  In-shore we caught lots of undersize Blue Cod and some Perch.[/DIV]

Honestly it's taken me about 5 or 6 years of pretty regular fishing to get to a point where I feel like I almost know what I'm doing. Still get skunked from time to time, Wellington's fish are fickle sometimes.

You'll also lose less gear as you start to get your head around what works and what doesn't...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DJ Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:38pm
DJ Mike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow, this thread still exists! Dang, I don't even know how long it's been since I last posted...

Anyway, we got up at stupid O'clock to get to ramp before every man and his dog hit the water, and potentially fish the change of light. Southerly swell, so decided to go with Evans Bay rather than South Coast, or waste fishing time by driving out of the city. Excellent decision, no dramas, no line at the ramp, plenty of parking. Didn't even need to get our feet wet. 

The plan was to get a livebait soaking, but no work ups were seen, so we headed for a wreck instead. I can see another boat heading that way too, and we arrive at the same time. Classic. Did one drift for a sea perch, then left them to it.

Dropped a couple of servo burleys in 20m out from Kau Bay. Caught a few small snapper, blue cod, and jack macks. So put out a mackie for a livie. About an hour later, nothing had really changed so I pulled up the burley and added a 10L bucket full of frozen fish frames, kina, paua guts etc. My burley bag is made from the large craypot mesh, and almost a cubic meter in size. It's awesome for dumping buckets full of scraps, but you need to put a large rock in it to keep it from taking off.

It started really firing after that. Got a decent snap, and then some really large jack macks. I've not seen them that large down here. Randomly, both of us hooked up on massive conger eels at exactly the same time. Mine was so heavy I thought I'd snagged the burley. 

Moved out by Breaker Bay for a while, but it was a bit lumpy so decided to call it quits. Got a few Kahawai that were starting to fire up near Point Halswell. Ended up with a decent feed then home for lunch.

Thank you Wellington on a good day!
Teach your missus to fillet and shuck. Before someone else does...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:27pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi All - I have been away from forum for a few years, good to see a few old names pop up again Spaz and Davo.

Was looking in as I had a google alert re password compromise....so after changing said PW had a quick sqiz.

Been light for me recently, although got a good haul of pannies from north of kapiti a few weeks when wind died down for a change.

need more fishing ...and need to find a good keen fisho in the Mana Porirua/Plim area who can go at short notice.

Still have the Surtees 6.1 HT but looks like I need a new OB mechanic as they all seem to be leaving the game.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeyBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:06am
MikeyBird View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

what’s wrong with KP Marine?
When you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 7:18am
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here's a fright for this threadLOL
Took the missus and son out for a 'relaxing' evening fish/dinner out west last night, didnt start promising with wind 12-15knts, gas bottle running out halfway thru cooking chicken nibbles and low tide scheduled for 7pm but still running like a freight train.  Despite not being able to get berley down (80m with tide) the fishing was pretty steady albeit with 26oz sinkers, water temp surprised me a bit with 16degrees despite the steady southerlys we've been enjoying, efforts resulted in a good bag of 45-50cm teri and 50-70cm snapper, wind dropped once tide eased approx 8:30pm so a nice ride home and the bonus of untouched berley for next time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 7:34pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow, good to see someone posting a report on the old forum Grasshoppa.
I managed to get out for my first fish in a long time. Been unable to due to medical reasons, but nothing an operation and a long recovery couldn’t help with.
Got invited onto a charter, which was a good test for the body, which coped well. Was stoked to get into some Tiks and get the urge to get back into getting out more often. Hauled on board where Tiks, Puka, Tope, snapper, Trev, Gem fish and the usual throw backs.
Was soooo good to get out, now thinking I need another boat in the driveway. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 2:19pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

do it Spaz 😎

Will call to provide further encouragement...and swap stories. Any red cod yet?! lol

Nice report Grasshoppa - glad you got some good fish. Hope you werent outfished?!

Edit: Forgot to add Hi Alan - hope all is good mate.
Page  <1 791792793