THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)

Page  <1 151617
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:39am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Torpedo Torpedo wrote:

Peruvian Jack Mac?

Te Papa were keen to take a look at this from a mahi the other week. 

It's been confirmed as a juvenile rubyfish.

Nothing of interest from last weeks marlin.

Rubyfish or RudderFish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:01pm
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Tzer, 

Below is the response on receipt:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 4:06pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Tzer, 

Thanks, any chance of you can send me pdf. Im always interested in identifying fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 4:52pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Craig, The pdf is probably from the TePapa book series - on identifying NZ fish.
4 volume set. Amazing info - fish I had never seen - maybe 1000 all up. Locations caught/found, general info on the fish etc.
If you are interested in that stuff - this set of books is a must. I go back to them time after time - to answer my own Qs on various fish.
If you want I can send you a couple of pics when I get back to the beach, on what they look like and contents.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Torpedo,
Any fisherman that takes the time to supply a specimen deserves salt worthy praise, congrats.
Thanks for your effort.
We all win.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:23pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Hi Tzer, 

Thanks, any chance of you can send me pdf. Im always interested in identifying fish.

Thanks Dave, not sure I entirely agree with TePapa. I know some juveniles  dont completely mirror their adults but I got to question their identification.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah, great stuff Torpedo. Thank you
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan. I tried TePapa website to see what infor they have available but cannot find much. Are these books available at all?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I got some. Got them about 5 yrs ago. But the amount of work in compiling these books, that stuff ain't going out of print anytime soon.
Let me look up this fish next time I get to them.
I will take a few pics of that and what else they have. That fish will be in there - guaranteed.
Give me a few days. The series is outstanding. NZs Blue Planet.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 3:58pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 4:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate - I am not at the books right now - probably w/end. They live at the beach and the weather has been a bit rubbish. I will post up a few pics of the pages and general content for Tzer, and have a look at what it says about this fish.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 4:22pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Horse Mackeral, most likely a Chilean Horse Mackeral
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Using that knife as a quide it looks around 360 to 380 mm long?  If the back was a greenish colour then yeah chilean/peruvian/horse mackerel, Come in Fishman!  We've caught some biggies of similar looking fish but I really don't know how to identify. Probably counting rays on the dorsal fin or some such that I'm never likely to do
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:47pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

What do you thing Alan , I thought kohe
https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/uploads/48518/D71EDF86-0F33-456D-88DC-FEBB070143E96929.jpeg

The sharp raised scutes along the lateral line identify it as a jack/horse mackerel of the Trachurus genus. Not a koheru.

There are three very similar Trachurus Jack mackerel to choose from. It's virtually impossible to tell which one when the specimen is slightly digested like that. Based on its body shape my guess is Trachurus novaezelandiae- the common inshore Jack mackerel around most of the North Island. But it's just a guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 10:41am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK Craig - a few pics of the books and the relevant pages of this discussion.
Based on that I would not be betting on Koheru. But I think Fishman has probably answered the Q.
I have included another page just illustrating the type of specific ID detail it goes to.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 10:20pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took a while but finally found this page again. Here are the stomach contents of yesterdays fish. 
I think:
1x Paper nautilus 
4x Rays bream

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1 151617
Share Topic