Bench Top Electric Oven converted to DIY Smoker

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #Eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bench Top Electric Oven converted to DIY Smoker
    Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 2:29pm
#Eight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I was looking through an old NZ Fishing News mag and in one section it referred to a DIY Smoker converted from an electric benchtop oven. The author converted it from a Breville electric benchtop oven (the one with the glass front door). The basic method was to prepare the fish as per usual with smoking, sprinkle the wood chips on the crumb catcher tray at the bottom beneath the elements, bake at 150 deg C. Then eat.

Sounds too simple?? Has anyone tried this or a similiar method? as I have an old benchtop oven and would be keen for a bit of advice before I attempt the smoking (I'd hate to have the missus give me the old "I told you it wouldn't work" speech).Wink

Grant
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:44pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hmm I normally 'hotsmoke fish at 70 deg C
that will cook it, but not cause the oil to rise thru the flesh (white fat on top, it tastes the same but does not look as pretty)
Also 150 deg C will cook fish fast.... not much chance for smoke to come thru

although for the cost of an alloy drip tray from countdown.. its worth a go.

Might be good for adding a smokey flavour to chooks, roast pork etc. Fanbake at low temp (less than 50deg C might be a good biltong drier

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:25pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

First thoughts are why bother as presumably you will need to
use it inside which is not a good idea, you will probably be ruining
the cooker for its' intended use & as Felix points out likely to be
too high on heat yet too low on suitable smoke., as well as being
hard to clean ( may pong when stored after use also )

All this when something far simpler is almost certain to give you
far better results, less costly & more hygenic.

Short answer is that it would work after a fashion but fat better ways
you could go with a simple flame heat & outdoors without filling your
room with smoke.

Which area are you in ..... could show you several options for you to
choose from & no am not selling them.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #Eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 10:28pm
#Eight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the headsup. I might just invest in a cheap S/Steel smoker and go from there. The benchtop oven probably should be left alone to do what it was designed for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 3:11am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by #Eight #Eight wrote:

Thanks for the headsup. I might just invest in a cheap S/Steel smoker and go from there. The benchtop oven probably should be left alone to do what it was designed for.

Wise decision but if buying a smoker best to get a single rather than
a double or twin layer as have more control over even heat etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 7:54am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Give it a go for sure.

No reason why it wouldn't work with an extension cable outside, I know a few people have taken the elements out and put them into homemade smokers, the only real difference is the size involved so just use the lowest possible temp you can.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 10:08am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The vulcana smoker I have at the beach uses an electric element as the heap sourse. Works fine for me! Mind you, it is in a big cabinet...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #Eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 1:18pm
#Eight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I might just have to give it a go, especially if I catch a few Kahawai. If it's a complete failure, the dog will eat the fillets.