Reel for casting poppers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tim Huffam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel for casting poppers?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 2:45pm
Tim Huffam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can anyone tell me what would be a good reel (at a reasonable price) for casting poppers from a boat (targeting kingis).  

Second thoughts.... what's would be a good complete setup  - line weight, trace weight, rod length & weight... and reel ;-)

Thanks

Tim

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 3:38pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how much you spending tim??

i use the 9500ss for poppers, 8kg or 15kg, got a shakespear intrepid for 15kg and a ugly stick for 8...or an overhead if you can cast good, torium on a beastmaster..

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 3:38pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the Mitchell Nautil GV7500 reel is a superb reel for poppering. It is certainly the one I use, and I know they should be a pretty reasonable price, like in the 250-300 range.

They have a solid reel stem, good line cap/spool size, good retreive speed, and their black rubber coated bodies are waterproof. The distributor is Purefishing, if you go to a shop and ask for one and they don't have one, tell them to order one in from them.

Line? I use fireline for my poppering. Casts further, more line cap on the spool and has a superb hook-set. Go 30lb, on the GV7500 you will get 300yrds of 30lb fireline loaded on.

Rod? Those Penn clear tip Tri-Fibres are a very nice piece of rod.

Poppers? Fishwest pencil poppers for a sinking pencil popper type, or yo-zuri Surface Bull GTs for really serious fish/floating popper/chugger.

Trace 150lb mono. flemish loop and crimp ontopopper, have trace 3 ft long, flemish loop and crimp onto a size 5 b/b black swivel.

It works for me! :-)

cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 4:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah, but have you caught any big fish Capt A????
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 5:00pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Capt. A....the above fish looks like the same as this one?...

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 5:23pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you guys are mean.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 5:41pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, same fish, everyone wanted to have a piccie with a 60lb GT. I was meant to be holding the middle of it but the other two were doing the job just fine. This is the second of Capt.A's lge GT's. Both exactly 60lb. B'stard.
When there, I was using a lighter weight outfit, 'cos of knackered elbows, 20lb fireline, with a fishwest popper w. urethane 'head'. Could cast a good way, and easier to retrieve than the larger surface bulls.Tica Taurus reel - a little beauty- and can't remember the rod; tho lightish but good action. My best was a 22lb GT with this set-up, and a few smaller- 12-18lb Gts and 1 approx 10 Golden Trev. This would easily handle up to 50 lb Kings I reckon. Stu can tell more of the details- it is his set-up I flogged. Cheers

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 8:03pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Stu,

you're supposed to put the undersized ones back. That poor little Sprat! Shame on you!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 8:08pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buy the way, do you boys know what the actual breaking strain of fireline is?

20 pound breaks closer to 20 KG or 45 pounds.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 8:50pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Stu - agree with the Penn tri fibres. I now have four of them and the action is awesome. I have landed fish to 18lb (sorry, not a patch on your beauty up the top of the page) on my 6-8kg and the rod just dealt to them.

When Penn discontinued the ProSabre range I was disappointed but the replacement is very bloody good. range - the TriFibres - are very good. I hope the 24kg versions are just as good with a big beaky on.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 9:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Hellfish, you are right, the fireline does way over test, which is a good thing I reckon, but it rated so low because of its poor knot strength.

It is very satisfying to know though that when a barn door attacks your popper, it should be able to handle the pressure! :-)

The TiCA Taurus that Bob was using is indeed a very sweet reel, but at around 550-600 or so I think, perhaps not in the range that Tim is looking for.

If TiCA made a Taurus a coupla sizes larger, I would grab one in a shot for my heavy duty poppering, it is a very very sweet, smooth reel.

cheers,

Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 12:07pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do you use a short topshot of mono when you're using braid on a spinner? 

I've never used braid on a spinner and wonder how my index finger will react to a few hours of casting poppers as it seems to be fairly abrasive.

Thanks

Murray

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 1:36pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by murrayt on 09 September 2004

Do you use a short topshot of mono when you're using braid on a spinner? 

I've never used braid on a spinner and wonder how my index finger will react to a few hours of casting poppers as it seems to be fairly abrasive.

Thanks

Murray

Murray,

I've been  experimenting with small bibbed lures and poppers (10gms or less), and braid (10pd) is my preference at the moment. I don't bother with a long topshot but would use a short (less than 1m) mono leader so that I can leader the fish in.

I've no problems with getting a sore index finger but like I said, I've only been using light lures.

(At this stage Shimma from this forum would be chiming in with the virtues of the Letago contraption )

Braid is typically used in Asia for popping work using spinning reels so I guess it shouldn't be a problem or they use gloves???

Tim,

In answering your question, I've read on overseas forums that the Daiwa Freams and TwinPower are excellent cheaper alternatives to the likes of Saltiga. Not sure if they are available here though.

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 2:29pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with the 'Letago' contraption, Pioneer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 3:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Fireline will do a lovely job of removing the tip of your finger if you are not careful. If when under full load at the top of the cast, just before you release the line when the centrifugal force on a fairly weighty lure is greatest, the pull of the lure pulls line off the drag setting on the spool, it will slice open your trigger finger faster than you can say "Cheese wire".

So always make sure your drag is done up to max strike drag before casting. That is lesson one. Lesson 2 is to always, if casting with spectra, use a short length of paster around your trigger fingers tip to prevent the line cutting into your skin. No need for gloves or anything like that, just 3 inches of plaster is heaps.

For flicking light lures on 10lb or less fireline? No, no need to worry about this at all. It is only when you are getting into heavier gear that it becomes a problem. I use 10 and 6lb fireline spinning for trout or trevs etc on the sand flats in the islands, no worries at all.

I do not top-shot any mono onto the fireline before the swivel, as I figure it is just anotehr knot to possibly fail at the worst possible moment. I just tie my fireline straight to the swivel. I get as many if not more popper hits than everyone else, so obviously this does not scare the fishies!

hope this helps, cheers,

Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 10:43am
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Beaut GT Capt Asparagus!
Light Tackle Weapon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 12:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Why thank you! :-) I liked it myself, yes.

Cheers, Stu.