Shimano Torium series or the Talica series??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RubbaDuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimano Torium series or the Talica series??
    Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 9:09pm
RubbaDuckie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok so i'm in the process of buying a new reel for the summer and have used shimano's previously and am looking to stick with them. I am a snapper fisher and I love to target the kingfish aswell whether it be trolling, livebaiting or jigging. I have done a bit of research and have seen the Torium 30 and the the Talica 12 onespeed.
The first question that I have for someone that knows a little bit more about reels than me is; which reel is going to be the best for me considering that I will be targeting larger fish such as Kingfish aswell as snapper?
There is obviously a price difference and performance difference between the two and my second question is; have I overlooked any reels that I should be considering?

Thanks your help is muchly appreciated
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 7:31am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Greg,
 I would suggest the Torium 30 would be more suitable than the Talica 12 for your application, as for other reels to consider there are many as: Accutare, Avet, Alutecnos, Daiwa, Finnor, JM Pe4,5,6. Penn, and more Shimanos, it may pay for you to search out more info on what most fishers are using and what they prefer. Steve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 7:41am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey RD,

Matey I've recenty bought the range of Fin-nor Marquesa's which I'm using for multiple purposes..

I've found them to be great for snapper fishing with baits and also using Catch softies in deep water (45mtr) so smooth and liteweight and crikey do they have some grunt...

I'm using a 12/16 for snapper fishing, a 20 on a very nice Kojak acid for jigging kings and have a 30T on a trolling rod that will be used for trolling live baiting...

Mat if you live around the Whangaparaoa area more than welcome to check them out....

Craig
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RubbaDuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:29am
RubbaDuckie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Craig

They look like very good reels, unfortunately Whangaparoa's a bit of a drive but I might go down to the shop today and check them out. What should I be paying for the different types?

Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 11:23am
scottej View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey rd, I use a torium 14 on the west coast loaded with braid, its the shizzle plenty of grunt have caught some good sharks and handled it easy!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:55pm
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As he asked, I would go Torium 30.
 Great for all round fishing & also have a great history for the amount that are out there.