input on a new popper/stickbait rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: input on a new popper/stickbait rod
    Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 11:40pm
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys im after a bit of input, Im looking at purchasing a new popper/stickbait rod to replace a t curve 15-24kg bluewater which is my heavy rod and has been really good, I have been offered a smith komodo for $750 brand new, Has anybody used one and what did you think of it ? The reel is a much loved stella 18000sw, 80lb braid, I already have a smith gtk74pg that I use for smaller kingis and tuna and am really happy with it. I fish around some pretty unforgiving structure sometimes and need something to put the brakes on the kings.

Are there any other rods out there that are comparable in availability, spec and price that you would recommend to have a look at aswell ? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 12:53am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The JM monstor rods would fit close to that price range and certinly have the stuff to stop bigger fish than the Smiths which I also have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 2:50am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Komodo is a stump puller but thats a hell price.

If you can find one on the net an Ocean Revolution black devil 200 would work and be super cheap. built on smith blanks but the company no longer exists. Ive got two BD rods and love them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:03am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go the Komodo ,the thing is a weapon, if you dont get it,let me no and i will as i swapped mine for a jig rod and have half regretted it since 
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:48am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where do you get a komodo for 750?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:54pm
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A good friend of mine owns a tackle shop and has two on the shelf and wants to offload one at discounted price, I believe it is the decal model which is slightly cheaper than the weave.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:57pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by accurate accurate wrote:

A good friend of mine owns a tackle shop and has two on the shelf and wants to offload one at discounted price, I believe it is the decal model which is slightly cheaper than the weave.

same rod but $200 diff if you want the weaveWink nice rod, just buy it,the kingies wont know what hit them BUT neither will youLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bunzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 1:50am
Bunzo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by stellajigger stellajigger wrote:

Go the Komodo ,the thing is a weapon, if you dont get it,let me no and i will as i swapped mine for a jig rod and have half regretted it since 

And I'm only half smilingThumbs Up LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 6:16am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh i here ya Bun
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH