Kite setups

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karl14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kite setups
    Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 6:54pm
Karl14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys im looking at getting into kite fishing. Im 24 and mainly to surfcasting. What would you reccommend me getting??

Ill be looking at going out west coast beaches (auckland) and also sandy beaches out the east coast iswell.

thanks Karl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Walt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:30pm
Walt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Karl,

Do you plan on fishing mostly alone, or with at least one other person?  Reason I ask, is that it's likely to dictate the size of rig.

If you haven't already, then I recommend checking out the following website:
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/

I'm relatively new to this game also, but the way I see it there are few options - all of which are 'Dropper Rigs' that keep your mainline clear of the water. (I believe Bottom longline rigs are for more experienced users, and not suitable in areas where snags are likely).

Pocket Sled Rig:
Compact, easier to transport and manage alone.  Requires rod/reel with 8-15kg line.  Suitable for offshore winds only, and will set 1 - 3 hooks.
Price range $140-190

Flexiwing Rig:
More superior kite, able to tack (ie, steer) if wind not directly offshore, can set 5-10 hooks.  More experienced users can manage alone, but 2 or more would be better (and help you carry along the beach).
Can either be used on existing rod/reel with 20-30kg line, or purchased as a standalone set.
Price Rage $190-280 (Rod/Reel Upgrade) or $350-430 (Standalone)

Big Dropper Rigs:
Larger kites, suitable in a wider range of wind speeds/direction, and capable of pulling up to 20 hooks.  This is the rig we use, on west and east coasts.  This is a standalone kit, and I'd recommend having at least two people to manage.  Obviously if you have a 4WD then it makes transporting the kit easier (assuming they're allowed on the beach).
Price Range $460-790

Hopefully that gives you an insight, I'm happy to help with any queries if I can, and I'm sure there must be some other kite fishers on here who might be able to share their wisdom.

Cheers,
Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 5:31pm
kahawai_guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry for the late post.  I have the flexiwing and have it setup like this:
100ft 80lb braid from kite to float, 30m 130lb backbone down to first sinker, then 20 crimps every meter to the last sinker.
Back bone stops here and is then tied to the mainline on my fishing rod which has around 600m or heavy mono (soon to be replaced with heavy braid).  The fishing rod is a shimano predator 24 - 37kg fully rollered with a daiwa sealine 600h.
This system is manageable with only one person but only if the rod and reel are good solid quality.
Caught some nice fish on this rig!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:23pm
tigurello 90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

this saves me puting up same post am trying to help a mate get into kite fishing aswell 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:51pm
kahawai_guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You fly a flexiwing also?  Do you use lighting on your kite for night fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NoobZealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 1:07am
NoobZealand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey i dont think you can fish in the night. according to a mate of mine. but when i do i put a flasher beacon, similar the the kupa ones for sale on the kite and one near the flag. just to be safe. but still unsure if you can fish at night.
Winter yields few big fish, summer yields plenty of legals.