Extreme Squid Fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Squid Fishing
    Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:50pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After suffering severe fishing withdrawals for some time now, and after many hours pondering and deliberating (had a uni essay due that afternoon so had to find some way of procrastinating) along with trips to all the local tackle joints to do a bit of recon, I decided that the only way I was going to find out if there were squid in Dunedin Harbour was going out and trying to catch one.

Anyways, during my avoidance of anything to do with my essay, I stumbled upon a study done by the Uni on fish species in the Harbour, and two species of arrow squid had turned up. So I dug a bit deeper and found that squid is a huge part of the commercial catch down here during the summer months.

So, with the weather map looking like something straight out of 'The Perfect Storm', we gathered some gear and headed off. High tide was at 11.30 but with the weather closing in we left at around 7.30. As it turns out, Dunedin is much less well-lit than Auckland, especially along the water front. The only place with any real lighting was around the port, and we managed to find a good looking point with deep water and a bit of weed coverage.

Only problem was the track out to it had the gate padlocked shut 'due to high winds'. At this stage it was only blowing 15-20 knots, so a quick jump of a fence and a scramble along a remarkably dodgy half-demolished wharf and we were on our way.

The first thing we saw when we got to the point was a tiny (about 4 or 5cm) squid, so there are definitely squid in Dunedin! Thumbs Up

It's a bit of an understatement to say that things deteriorated from there.

Within 10 minutes of being there, the wind started gusting a solid 30-40 knots. But we were determined to catch a squid so decided to tough it out for at least half an hour. Bad Call.

The wind was a bitterly cold southerly and we froze even wrapped up like we were off to Antarctica for a week. And it kept building. And building. And with no squid around our only entertainment was seeing who could grow the biggest icicles from their fingers. It was really fCensoreden cold.

And then the sleet started.

It was about then that we decided that we may have been clinically insane to attempt squid fishing in what's being referred to in the New Zealand Herald as "one of the biggest storms on the planet".

So the one-more-cast call was made and, as it always goes, there was finally something to keep us interested. The line came tight even against the wind and then went slack again. So of course there had to be another last cast.

And out of the shadows (and hurricane/sleet) appeared one of the biggest living squid I've ever seen. I know water magnifies thing but this must've been a good couple of kilos worth. But no matter what we did we couldn't provoke a strike. After a couple of minutes, the squid slunk beack into the darkness and the call was made to go home.

By this time we were literally being blown backwards by the strongest gusts, and it was about then that we discovered why the track was closed in high winds. As we were walking, a large branch from one of the trees came down accross the path, blocking the area from the high barbed-wire fence around the port and the water. Lucky we didn't leave 30 seconds earlier.

After a few minutes scrambling and a couple of wet feet we were on our way, and after a few hairy moments involving the wind and the collapsed wharf, we were back at the car. The sleet had built to be quite heavy by the time we got back to the car which made for an interesting ride home Shocked

So, after picking possibly the worst night we could have to give squid fishing in the deep south a go, that one mother of all squids has got us keen for next time, despite the skunking (although maybe in slightly milder conditions).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

haha, good report 2cold.
I think what you guys did is called p!zzing into the windLOL
But don't give up, that monster will be even bigger next time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:05pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff! At least in this weather you have your pick of the spots!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:16pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ha ha, great read mate. the things we do to chase fish eh??LOL still, its got to bode well for the next time and it sounds like in the warmer months it could be all on. I've had one half decent shot at squid in the day time and didn't see one after 45 mins in the welly harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:17am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice report 2cold.  Like the bit about dodging the essay to go fishing.  Hopefully now you've got the fishing itch temporariliy scratched, you haven't caught pneumonia, and you can reluctantly do your essayUnhappy
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
Steersman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys ,
i'm about to try SF in Bluff Harbour and Stirling Point.Been studying up for about 6 months now and was rapt to see the article in NZFN.Going by the pics in that article there may be likely squid spots also at Ocean Beach near the old Freezing Works and also a couple at Howells Point in Riverton, will try them shortly,Bluff first tomorrow.
Not much of an assortment of Jigs in the shops here in Invercargill.Have a pink n black clothed shrimp and a luminous one,a green and a luminous unweighted barrel type.2 "Squidder"  floats by LEADBEATER FLOATS.
Will try 10 kg line i have left over from my Surfcasting reel(Alvey 650/A3/2 ,vintage cedar)
will try my, just arrived ex Trade Me($24:50 deliveredBig smile),Alvey model 30/A1 (rare ) vintage  reel on my Old Fly Rod,a Kilwell - Abu  Hawk.9' long and flexy at the pointy end it is perfectly balanced with the old Alvey.
I am on a tight budget making do.

Figure Squid MUST be here as recall a SF fleet off the Bluff coast 20-30 yrs ago with lights that could be seen for miles.
Please tell me guys ....AM I GOING THE RIGHT WAY LINE WEIGHT WISE ? WILL TRY 17 KG LEADER?
ALSO HAVE 8 KG LINE I CAN USE IF 10 TOO HEAVY.

IS ANY ONE ELSE GIVING SF A GO IN SOUTHLAND OR AM I THE "TEST PILOT"?
CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS....
Cheers Bob
Me not know! Me not tell!
Me push button!
Me RUN LIKE HELL! :-ppppp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 8:09pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

LOL  absolute classic report 2cold, very good. I could just imagine it (fortunately from a nice warm house, with a cold beer and the BBQ cranked on the balcony,a fine calm evening here. I've been down there in such conditions and it may be colder than in my freezer.
Reckon the R&D overcomes skunking. Roll on summer, or are you northward bound for the hols?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:30pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep was up there with my more interesting fishing excursions LOL safe to say I've never been that cold while fishing before (got down to -3 that night plus a whole lot of wind-chill with a 40kn southerly Dead ), took about a week for my hands to thaw out..

Yep, totally agree, roll on summer. Will be northward bound and am desperately looking forward to slaying some snaps and kings, the big stock-up has begun already Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:03am
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience catching squid in Dunedin?

I'm a complete newbie to the whole thing but its intrigued me and I wanna give it a crack! feel free to pm me

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PuttyBoyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:33am
PuttyBoyy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anybody tried again? I did a lot while on the north shore of Auckland and want to test these waters out. 0275557699 if anybody would like to join