Clydeside spiders

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ugly Duckling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clydeside spiders
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:34pm
Ugly Duckling View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I notice that a number of sites and books give patterns for tying "Spiders". Nearly all forget that the spider needs to pulsate as it is fished through the surface film and give ties that lay the sparce hackle down the fly which results in the soft hackle folding along the body.
The true clydeside spider is a real minimalist fly with no body at all just a thorax large enough to keep the hackle in an upright position. This hackle is tied in soft side forwards which puts the hackle curving over the eye of the hook. Modern tying uses a bit of bling in tying the small body with glittering threads, mylar etc. The resulting fly when viewed in the water and worked with the rod tip pulsates like a jelly fish and at each pulse the body winks a come on. Hook sizes are usually 16/12 with 14 the most used. Use only 2 turns of hackle at the most for best action and keep 2/3 of the hook shank bare.
I fish these on a short line upstream using not only a steady rod tip nod of 6 inches or so but also retrieve at a little above the speed of the current similar to the Leisenring Lift method. Results are excelent with some real smashing takes from good browns.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:28am
Te Awa Kairangi Angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tony, if you're still about, any chance of posting some of your Clydeside flies?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karamea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 10:36pm
Karamea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure if you mean wet flies or the original spider but Clark gave us a super realistic lifelike one to try in the Mist country.Come on 3rd week of January and Waitangi weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 5:28pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those are different Karamea. "Spider" refers to an old style of tying wee wingless (usually) wets with exagerated hackles.  But in the back country many miss the importance of the water spider which is prevalent on most streams, especially back country.

The imitation I use is by Taihape flytying guru Russell Anderson. Russell and I went an entire two weeks, at one point, where every fish we landed took either a Cicada or a Spider. What didn't eat one, ate the other.

I consider these an absolute essential. 

My top three flies I won't leave home without (In peak Summer) are the Cicadas, Spiders and the Mini Hopper... most have not grasped the greatness that is the Mini Hopper (I am so modest) on fish which have had some pressure at the peak of the summer... but those that have, know!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier