Giant Trevally at the Chesterfields

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Trevally at the Chesterfields
    Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 7:08am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Just got back from 2 weeks fishing the Chesterfields, popped a few Gts, however I must admit this big GT ate a NZ Pillie at the back of the boat, can't beat straylining for Gts, see what you can catch!
We estimated 45kg, what do you guys think?SmileSmile

REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 7:47am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Horse Steve! was that the biggest? must go there
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:03am
Whizz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup that is pretty sweet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes Kevin that was the biggest we landed, got smashed a few times in the shallows & reef drop offs, so who knows? Highly recommended as a place to visit for all serious fishos, see other postsSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:24am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a beast...and on a pillie that is gold, well done SteveClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:37am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Allan, beast alright,
The story goes like this; one of the boys looking over the transom early morning at anchor yells out shark, I have a look over and see this GT,  F---K that's no shark its a Big GT, so out with poppers, jigs, stik bait, you name it not even interested, just cruising around the boat, out comes a couple of frozen pillies, quick defrost, cube one then quickly rig up Marks  Alutecnos Gorilla 12C with a Pillie strayline rig, pull a few metres of line off and in comes the GT & scoffs it right in front of us, great scrap however no contest on PE8 braid and extreme drag, amazing fish to see and release!SmileSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:57am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeeewwwwwwww b@st@@d!!!! Hah! I just knew you'd post up a pic like that after those doggie shots! Damn, you know how to really turn the thumbscrews don't you, that is just plain torture. Now, if you post up some shots of brilliant reef fish on sp.s or light tackle, I may well start to cry.
Damn, I am SO jealous!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 5:17pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

holly cow, that is a massive GT. reminds me of that video of the Midway GTs....
awesome place to go for an adventure, when you going back????
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:10pm
scottej View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Who cares what weight it is, it's a beast would'nt mind a tango with one of them!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a fish look at its tail blades awesomeThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:34pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very nice fish~! huge GT
well done boyz

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:46am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Another small one we (Ray)caught on a popper, weighed 25kg, on a Nomad Dumbell popper Gold/Red I think, on the rod  in the rod holdersmashed another one off just after this,so lost the popper-buga
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coxy From Gold Coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm
Coxy From Gold Coast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Differently around 45kg that first fish it is a horse. We hook some fish that have been unseen over here of the rocks and we are sure they are big GTs like that, unfortunately within about 30 seconds we can see the bottom of our spools LOL and the fish are still going, I wish we could hold more than 500m on our spools.
Have heard a fair bit of talk about the Chesterfields lately, if I wasn't going to the Three Kings twice next year I think I would have to go for a look so better put it on the cards for 2012 I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:37pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Coxy,
Yes there is a bit of info on the Chesterfields and I have lots too, it is an AMAZING place! and I have seen a few around the world but this is special, anyway we are doing 3 trips to the Chesterfields next winter, you are welcome to join us if you can or keep in touch as we will probably do the same in 2012 as long as the interest is there. Swordfishsteve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steve
Those are amazing fish.  Good on you - bit jealous but more admiration really - goin to place like that and catchin fish like that is really walkin the talk.  A lot of us are good at latter and live for exceptional fishing like that for brief periods in our lifetimes. 
Mental note to myself: Must spend less on red wine and save up for great trips to special places like that.  Life is too short really -but goin to Tonga soon -at least its a start.  Would love to go to Chesterfields and also Coral sea one day, along with Accension Island, Exmouth WA, Samoa, Vanuatu, Nuie to name a few.  And there's Waihau Bay and BFT off West Coast as well. 
Lucky I'm still a young man.Wink
Regards Shane

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:20am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean fish!
A BIG GT is something I'd really like to spear and hang on the wall. I reckon it'd look pretty choice.
Heard a fair bit about the chesterfields as a diving destination- no-one has a bad thing to say about it!
I was sent this pic of a GT that was 96.6 pounds a couple of days ago, caught in Hawaii 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coxy From Gold Coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 11:10pm
Coxy From Gold Coast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Hi Coxy,
Yes there is a bit of info on the Chesterfields and I have lots too, it is an AMAZING place! and I have seen a few around the world but this is special, anyway we are doing 3 trips to the Chesterfields next winter, you are welcome to join us if you can or keep in touch as we will probably do the same in 2012 as long as the interest is there. Swordfishsteve

Hi Steve, please give me some more info on your trips you never no Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote back2black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 9:19am
back2black View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is a awesome GT! What a beauty 
Auckland Blasting Services Ltd
Multi Media Blasting - Automotive/Marine/industrial/Residential
Ph: 0225278968 ( 02BLASTYOU )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:57pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi All, here is my report for trip 1 , more to follow:

Chesterfield Fishing Adventure part1

Escape the Cold Wet New Zealand Winter = How About This for a Sport Fishing Winter Paradise?

Sunny , Hot , SE 10kn S/E 1mtr lazy rolling swell, sea state getting better all the time, arrived at the south passage De Illot Loop, amazing bird life, huge current swirling around the bank edge, instantly we hook and land two  nice Mahimahi , an excellent start, just after lunch approaching S/W reef drop off, we hook and land a treble of Yellowfin Tuna, up to 30kg, so not huge, but is has been a long time since any of us white boy Kiwis have caught any Yellowfin, Tuna , in Cobalt Blue water temp 24deg,  so crystal clear you can see the bottom in 30mtrs right into reef edge,

We hooked a few Wahoo in the shallows however the sharks are too fast and all we end up with is the Wahoo heads, carry on working the reef drop off to the west passage, then come up onto the ledge and hook up to something BIG, Mike the angler on 24kg SU, this fish smokes off straight down, I suggested to Mike to crank up the drag a bit,  only to see the it is already on Sunset, wow this fish has some  power, half an hour later we boat a Dog tooth Tuna that would easily weight 70kg, awesome start and fantastic welcome to the Chesterfields!

Best lures so far would be Laser Pro 190 in any colour, we were blown away by the power and size of the Dog tooth, so went inside the reef for a relaxing swim  and a cold beer!!

Anchored at the West long Island, Nice spot however a bit exposed to SE winds.

Nice night at anchor, everyone keen to repeat yesterdays performance, after chopping up Mikes Dog Tooth we decide not to eat it as high risk of toxin poisoning which large reef fish predators have, so arrive at the passage ledge and sure enough we hook more Dog tooth Tuna, several up to 50kg, one for Malcolm which comes up with coral on lure top, they appear to cruise along the ledge drop off in the shallow 25mtr zone so very difficult to get out into the deep, very strong tidal flow and huge schools of rainbow runners, mack tuna and skippies congregate at the drop off. We lost many lures to the bottom and to sharks. Inside for lunch and back to the passage for the afternoon bite, landed 2 large Wahoo, which we let go, then Tony hooks a Big Dog tooth on a Metal Jig, 80lb braid and lock and load extreme drag, he scull drags it out into the deep where with a lot of hard work and extreme drag locked up he lands an even bigger Dog tooth than Mikes, we estimate 90kg, Huge guts and bigger than the angler. Very hard fight for over an hour sees Tony shattered in the corner barely able to lift the fish for a photo, going to be hard to beat that monster anytime!

Back into lagoon for some cool lagers and celebrate our success.

Next Mission for us is to target Giant Trevally today, as our arms are still aching from the Dog Tooth are too much like hard work, so we plan to popper our way around the reef ledge and explore some new territory, S/E 15 kn and sunny all day, so excellent conditions, however the GT fishing did not turn it on, we ended up with a big Jobfish, sharks eating everything, and 2 Wahoo on lures, a couple of GT followed poppers out , Malcolm landed one GT around 10kg, 2 more nice dogtooth on the way back into the lagoon on the ledge, over to the West Islands anchorage, lovely in SE conditions, tuck into 10mtrs water , good holding, just slight wind chop.

Up nice and early heading for the Seamount 43mls away, sloppy SE 25knts , not sure what to expect but worth a look we guess? Troll out at 8knts, arrive around 11AM with an instant treble of Yellowfin Tuna, approx 25kg, then 2 more Wahoo on marlin lures, so time to pull those in, oh no too late as we lose Ken’s big Pinky lure to a mass Wahoo attack. Seamount comes up to 60mtrs, from 1000mtrs so plenty of fish on it, we have a few Yellowfin eat our stik baits right at prop wash, awesome to see so many Yellowfin competing for plastc baits, sharks get half of one, then a couple more Wahoo. Tony jigged a small Yellowfin, not too hard to catch on PE8 braid, so great fun, we have to leave at 1pm to head back to anchorage, biggest landed around 30kg, so not monsters but plenty of them. We arrived back to East Island anchorage as the sun sets, so another perfect day comes to a close.

Our last day in Paradise so head back to Dog Tooth Highway, Malcolm lands a nice yellowfin on south ledge, 2 more big wahoo and one more Doggie around 50kg on Blade Swimmer Lure. Easterly wind of 15-20 and sunny, so a little sloppy, we head off for top end of Landsdowne Bank  leaving behind an Anglers Paradise, we will be back one day!

We arrived just after dawn in the area to some bird life, then we catch half a wahoo, as sharks got the other half, then a nice Yellowfin Tuna around 25kg  , quiet around the bank, with not much bait fish showing, work around the top and the 1000mtr drop off, short while later we have a marlin strike which did not hook up, then carried on our way back to Koumac, some 180mls away, not far in the big picture.

Extreme Jigging, Trolling, Popping, Live On Board Sport Fishing Safari Adventure to a very remote tropical Paradise, Vessel is the 55ft Luxury Sportfisher Gladiator, your Floating 5 Star Hotel.

Target  World Class Giant Trevally, Giant Dog Tooth Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin and More!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote awawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:02pm
awawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A lotta BIG GTs caught from shore in Hawaii. Several vids on youtube of 100pounders from the rocks - nasty volcanic rocks too. Caught mostly on Medium senators and Newells. Sliding gaffs on the high spots, Occys and Morays for bait too. A lota guys targeting them on any given day in the Hawaiian Islands tho - Chesterfields etc dont have that many guys fishing em - so I guess u would be bound to see a lot of good fish coming outta Hawaiian waters on youtube.