YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports

Page  <1 303132
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:12pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one. I couldn’t get onto them last night, had a few small followers but didn’t hook any.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You beauty, DV.

I think I know where I went wrong last season - I didn't wear my camo gear, and I bet Far Quirk's the same. Talk abut amateurs...LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 4:27pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hahaha yeah you gotta sneak up on them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:56am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you guys have the yama****a live search 490 with Rattles?......they work really nice over in Auz......I also sell the Ultrafire UV torch with battery and charger....Nothing quite like them....best UV torch going.........I use hearty rise squid rods......superb.....some nice squid being caught in nz there....In aussie we measure them by hood size.....my PB is a 35cm hood.Wink

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Squid season is off to a good start, just had a nice feed of squid cooked in garlic butter. The hayabusa olive/silver 3.0 from hunting and fishing working well day and night again this year. If you only want to buy one colour, that’s a goodie (but why stop at one...) I’d prefer a size 2.5 this early in the season but they had none in stock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great bite on the outgoing this evening, picked up 9 good ones with a mate. Really good average size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 3:55pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 2/9/21  5:15 to 7:45pm

The usual embarrassment.  Fished from Orakei wharf with about 15 to 20 other squid hackers and an equal number of other fishos.  Didn't get a single touch, and the water was slightly too murky to see whether there were any follows.Went with higher expectation than usual.  Used Yama****a Egi-OH Live Search jigs, both 3.0. One was a more natural gold colour, used that until it got dark.  Then changed to one with lots of pink fluoro, and blitzed it several times with a UV torch.  Even put a dab of Secret Sauce on the belly in desperation.  Didn't see a single squid caught, but it's a pretty long wharf so I may have missed some.
For about the last half hour I chatted to an Aussie guy who had a very bright underwater light.  It was attracting piper and sprats and we both thought the squid would arrive anytime soon, but not while I was there.  We talked about past squid successes (very few for me) and all manner of other stuff including snapper, gurnard, flounder, eels, boats.  He has a Mack 3.5 and I told him about Geoff at Waitara? and his regular 20 lbers from a Mack 3.5.  Time flew by and the quality of my jigging evaporated.

Question for the experts.  The tide was going out, so I cast down current.  I could tell it was taking an age for the jig to touch the bottom if at all.  I resorted to casting it out to the edge of the lit area (lights on Orakei wharf), let it sink by paying out line, jigged it back to the surface, then flipped the bail arm over, let out more line, so effectively just covering the same piece of water, but at least getting to the bottom.  Is this OK?
The other thing I tried was casting up current.  In this case the jig dived straight into the weed and was at risk of getting snagged.  But at least it was covering more water and hitting the bottom regularly.  I spent about a third of my time casting up-current.  Is this a waste of time?

Like many others, I use the black ink marks on the wharf to work out where to fish.  Probably a few less ink marks than I've see in previous seasons, but only slightly so.

When Covid allows I'll try to meet Telecaster and watch his stylz.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 8:30pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From what i understand, places with high current such as Orakei and Devenport Wharfs best method is to use ledger style rig system. sinker on the bottom and 2-3 jigs hanging off the main line on short traces. Some people remove the weights from the jig or reduce the weight by drilling a hole in the jigs weight. This allows the jig to float more horizontally with current .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:05pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 12/9/21  5:45 to 7:45pm

In the interests of telling it like it is, here is another dud report. Tried again at Orakei wharf. Thanks for your input Denimviper, but the dropper rig with 2 modified (lightly weighted) squid jigs didn't get a bite.  Jigged another rod with Yama****a Live Search jigs.  This time the tide was coming in, the Westerly wind was unhelpful, but the basic problem was the squid weren't biting.  All up and down the wharf, squid hackers were striking out.

Went home and watched the All Blacks - all good after that.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

Still a few around. Got 4 between 7.30 and 8.30 this evening, local spot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 8:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

Page  <1 303132