Action?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Manoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Action?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:09am
Manoa View Drop Down

Thinking about both Kingies here at home and casting in the islands;
what are the preferred methods for imparting action to poppers and stickbaits?

I've seen guys just wing like crazy w poppers but also seen the pump wind action.
With some stickbaits I've seen guys on vids do an angled swing to the left pump, wind, then an angled pump to the right. Hope that makes sense.

Interested as to what makes them get frisky? Realizing of course that each lure is different and may require differing action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:34am
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

OK from the top the Action Stick bait should be worked with a low sweep I.E keep rod tip close to water. When rigged right the Action Stick should settle tail down and when the rod tip is swept should lower head to horizontal position and shoot forward and then settle tail down again. It looks ****ED but it sure gets attention.
The Key is to rig any top water lure & test swim it long before you have to swim it when the right moment comes along you and your gear must be ready to make the most of an opportunity.
I better get back to work but Poppers are easy make em splash & if in the tropics the biggest splash gets the biggest GT.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 12:30pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmm, from my experience,  you can use Poppers 2 ways. One is to use them as a slow working blooper, where you "pop" the lure, let it sit back, pop it again etc, bringing it slowly back to the boat. This certainly works, gets some great hits, but half the time from the reef sharks dammit.
The other is a more hi-speed retrieve. This is easiest if you are slowly idling along the reef edges casting at white water or baitfish on the surface, chuck it into your target area, then let it pop back up to the surface, and start retrieving at a reasonably fast, controlled speed. Start out with your rod tip high, and as the lure nears the boat lower the tip. With a fast moving popper with a reasonable cup to it's face, like the yo-zuri surface bull GT, moving fairly fast thru the water still means the popper catches a scoop now and then of water to cough out from the face and cause plenty of disturbance, and just speeding up a little means you can lift the head totally clear of the water so it skips easily across the surface in readiness for the next cast.
If you are wanting to"bloop" the poppers, it is best to do from a dead boat, to use a popper as a faster actioned lure, you can more easily do this with a moving boat, which has the advantage of covering more ground as well. If you do see a shark swing in behind your popper, just wind faster, they generally lose interest quickly then. If, however, you want to hook into the sharks, just slow down a little, and whammo.
I really want to give the stick baits more of a crack this next trip up there, although if suddenly I am getting monstered too regularly by effing sharks, I will go back to my normal popping style.