finding a likely spot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: finding a likely spot
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:06pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im real keen to get into this - i have a synit 37kg stick and a stella 20000 but im new to finding spots

at the moment i shave found a bunch of baitfish in really dirty water, were getting some good fish on live baits so do ya rekon the vibration will be enough to get the fish to bite as im sure as hell they can see fine

ginga in particlar, what are you looking for in a new spot?..or is it trial and error?

cheers

t
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:11pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shallow is the key, 5 to 15 metres of water is what i look for and the rougher ground the better.

Your in prime country for this sort of stuff Toby, all around those islands will be just great.
Not sure about the dirty water though. The times i have tried int he dirty stuff we still got fish but if we went back to the same spots with clear blue water the fishing was better.
Trial and error is definitely the way to go, dont be afraid to throw the odd cast near the livies too.
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:43pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Probably similar to the type of spots we look for targetting kingfish off the rocks I would have thought. Bit of current and structure and not too deep given you are top water fishing.

Ginga, do you do much of your top water fishing in say casting range of shore?

Quite interested in picking out particular spots for landbased poppering and stickbaits. In the past we've gone to likely looking kingi spots and always swim livies first and foremost but also make sure we have a popper or stickbait rigged as well as a dead piper ready to be cast for when the kings show. Much more fun fighting them on the spin gear than on the traditional livebait setups.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:01pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon there is plenty of scope for top water kings off the bricks, one area i was thinking of giving a go was down in the Lottin pt vicinity. here you can walk for miles and fish good ledges all the way. I think a nice leisurly walk around the rocks armed with just a top water rod and a few lures would be a good way to spend a day

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:32pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MAte, try around Whale, Richards, Neverfail at Whiti, especially if there is a bit of slop/swell running. With the permanent schools of trevs/kahawai around Richards for example, anywhere around them would have to be the go.
Also if you see fish coming up over cobra etc, another good area, (well, with poppers, haven't tried stickbaits there yet), or any of those pins SE of Red. So many options around the mercs it is chronic.
Be prepared for some extended casting sessions though until you find some fish.
 The best way is just to look for baitfish schooling on the surface that is certainly the best way in the islands anyhow, and has always seemed to work for me here.
Had a Mako nail a popper I was flicking around a big school of trevahawai at the Fingers once en route to the Kings... man, you never seen a spinning reel empty so fast! :-) lol
No, didn't get the popper back, sorry. :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 5:40pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ginga ginga wrote:

dont be afraid to throw the odd cast near the livies too.....the guys that have had the on have done that down carls way - hoping to get a few up this way as well

cheers stu/ginga - will do - might go prostpecting tomorrow - will be a mean swell with stuff all wind - need to fill the freezer ith macs also so will do both.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 6:32pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oops just checked forecast - dammm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 6:40pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tobez tobez wrote:

oops just checked forecast - dammm
Bit of rough weather is good for top water, that good one Konishi got at Mayor ealrier in the year was in horrible conditions.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 7:02pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cool - NW strait down the coast so might go for a look around the coast - anyone wanna come for a looksie?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:58am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try flicking out a popper as you pass each channel marker on your way out or back in. we often see Kingfish around them early morning or late afternon
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:00pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

flicked a popper for about 20mins as we drifted thru the bait schools today - nada but got fish on livies - guess i need a chugger to make them look up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:17pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate, I have often found kings take a very slow actioned popper, with a slowwwwww "bloop" action then leave to sit for a minute then a short spurt... hmmm.. actually sort of a stick bait action come to think of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:56am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Danger rocks would be the place in your neck of the woods TobezWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:16pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

churr - will have a scout next free days, have a few spots lined up thanks to milan so cant wait to get to them