jig hooks for poppers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jig hooks for poppers
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:51pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

can you use owner Stinger Jigging hooks (sj-41) for poppers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:58pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can you think of any reasons why you couldn't? Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 5:32pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They're up there with the hook of choice in many countries mate.
It's hard to argue with what Kezza said, simple but a good way to look at it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:38pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:55pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How about a pair of big-ass Owner trebles? flatten the barbs if you're a wuss....Big smileBig smile
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

can you think of any reasons why you couldn't? Confused

thanks, thats a good way of looking at it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:30pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

How about a pair of big-ass Owner trebles? flatten the barbs if you're a wuss....Big smileBig smile

As I learn more it depends on the way the lure is made and balanced so I guess any thing is worth trying

2 weeks in Samoa will help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anythings better than trebles - make a mess of any fish you want to release and an even bigger mess of yourself if you're not careful.
I've still got the wounds from my last trip to White Is a couple of weeks ago - caught a rat king on stick bait while up the front of the boat - too lazy to take it down the back for an easy release so hauled it up.  The stick bait had an Owner Decoy 6/0 at the rear and a treble on it's belly. Fish was on 1 hook of treble, boat rolled, rod started to fall over grabbed for rod, fish slipped from grip, Decoy went into calf, fish wriggled some more, Decoy went right through calf skin and back out a second hole, grabbed at fish to stop it wriggling and one of the free hooks on the treble went into my thumb and stuck fast. The fish and I survived but I wouldn't like to try it in Samoa.
I can see why the skipper didn't look too enthused about my single treble on the stick bait.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:34am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

got to love it when the fish get there own back Big smile
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 9:51am
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got his great grandma a few days later at Ranfurly Banks so felt a bit happier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:07am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

alot of topwater baits come with trebles for balance and it aint difficult to flatted barbs or file them off!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:39am
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ouch Murrayt. Is it wrong to ask if there were any photos?Confused

Could be a great thread - if not a bit gory. Show us your best fishing related injury LOL
If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 11:13am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So cause you were lazy trebles are bad Murray?

I think a single circle hook is good for you wanabe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 12:32pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No Mozz, cause I was lazy I got stabbed - still think trebles are not good if you want to release fish.

In reality it was the fishing equivilant of "buck fever", big school of trevs, kingfish prowling everywhere and a nice new shiny stickbait, got the rear treble off and replaced but couldn't restrain myself any longer.

I'd go with single jig, livebait or circle hook at rear +/- another at belly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TAZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 1:33pm
TAZEE View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

High quality, chemically sharpened, forged hook with exclusive 'back eye'. The back eye means that the hook can be used successfully as a replacement for trebles on minnow lures in addition to being fitted to deepwater jigs. The unique design allows the hook to be fixed on a single split ring. To extend the working life, when used in a trolling situation, the attachment of a zinc anode  is recommended. Hook length 54mm. Gape 28mm.

Just recevied these;s bad boys..8/0 only at this stage.
WWW.WSLAURIE.CO.NZ

The Best fishing spot In New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:28pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can vouch for those hooks Tazee, very sharp and tough as, we gave up trying to cut the end of and flattened the barb to get it out of me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gruntled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:46pm
Gruntled View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heard Murray squeal from the back of the boat. Photos are around somewhere.
I might have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:15pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TAZEE TAZEE wrote:

High quality, chemically sharpened, forged hook with exclusive 'back eye'. The back eye means that the hook can be used successfully as a replacement for trebles on minnow lures in addition to being fitted to deepwater jigs. The unique design allows the hook to be fixed on a single split ring. To extend the working life, when used in a trolling situation, the attachment of a zinc anode  is recommended. Hook length 54mm. Gape 28mm.

Just recevied these;s bad boys..8/0 only at this stage.

so are these at lauries mate and how much please?
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.