Treble hooks on poppers/diving lures

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whilst doubles and trebles of today are strong and of better quality and of course some lures (minnow/stick/popper) are designed around them I just hate the damage they do to small Kings and releasable fish and with these type of lures we use two.

So I would rather run singles or at least one double if I have to.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:44pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you are having trouble with the weight on your poppers and stickbaits by using singles then change to smaller Hayes hook's. they are pretty heavy and work well on lures that need more weight in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:58pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by marx marx wrote:

I'll be putting trebles back on my mini- poppers and will crush one or two of the barbs.

Definitely stuffs up the action as the kevlar assists I've been using turn the poppers on there side.
crush all the barbs dood and be careful to use trebles of similar size if upgrading to owner(very strong) ones for example...If you go bigger it could  ruin the action of the popperWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 8:23pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if you think about it the treble hooks is creating drag in the water which in turn keeps the lure running the the right way up... this helps the action of the lure do what it designed to do best....

so adding weigh to these areas to counter the removal of the trebles is recommended...
either you replace it so the single hook is pointed down in a fixed position ie rubber band or some other fixture grove in the body....  trail and error is the key, get it right or your wasting your time....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Page  <12