Popper fishing at the Kings

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popper fishing at the Kings
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:37pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see there are a few groups been heading up there recently with the intention of a jigging and popper fishing.
I see plenty of good fish getting caught on jigs but has anyone done any good with the poppers up there at all. Gonna give it a bash myself in a couple of weeks but wondering if i am wasting my time or not.
Cheers Mark
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:05pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ginga.....it can be tricky unless everyone is of the same mindset....there are no two ways about it with little effort you'd pop some wicked fish - just perhaps a little selfish in a mixed charter experience.....dunno......we had 3 popping sets going at anyone time when the opportunity presented itself.....even presented a good 50 casts with a stickbait in the general direction of the 'free jumping' marlin within seconds of first seeing it....

NOT A WASTE OF TIME!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:54pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like Kerren said, not a waste of time.  Just mind though, if you are on a boat with limited cockpit space and lots of rods in rod-holders/rocket launchers, it can be a bit of a pain, it is surprising how much room it takes to get a decent swing on a popper rod :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 5:33pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - I agree. I think popping is not on in a normal cabin boat with fishing only at the stern. A full walk-around  is ideal, and then only probably two popping unless its huge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 5:47pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It sure wasnt a waste of time with two 30 kg fish and several over 20kg and with only a minimal effort put inot the topwater stuff. Two marlin trying to smash the carpenter stick bait was pretty cool to watch too.
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 7:48pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have thrown poppers around up at the kings, but had no takers. The boys hiding from the wind and rain drinking rum thought I was MAD.LOL

I had the opportunity to talk with someone yesterday who was had a lot of experience with popper fishing, in Australia on the GB reef, in Vanuatu at the Whanganella bank, Chesterfields reef and many places in between.
 Yesterday we went for a look out off the back of the Cavalli islands in search of Marlin. I brought along a popper set with a hope of being able to cast at anything we teased up. Interestingly Dean talked about the difficulty of hooking up on a bill fish with a popper or stick bait. He mentioned the way Marlin feed and how hooking one would involve alot of luck. 
I understand it has been done many times all over the world, but wonder if using swinging assist hooks off the front of the lure would increase the hook up rate? 
 I figure that as of next game fishing season there will be a whole lot of people flicking poppers. Interestingly Dean reckoned that we in NZ have a good chance of making it happen due to the incidence of marlin bailing up bait balls.  Slowly approaching one of these and repeative casts could provide a whole lot of fun, pain swear words and possibly some spectacular top water action.
 My popper rod is now always stowed, rigged up and ready to throw, when the situation presents it,s self, even acurracy practise on quiet days has gotta have some benefit?
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"