Spearfishing in the Dunedin

Page  <1 585960
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:46pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went to Katiki last weekend.  Moki, Butters and paua came home.  Water was 13 C and viz about 2-6m. A pleasant dive with low swell at high tide.  Had a bit of a fright...got a bit of thick fishing line wrapped around my ankle, just as I was going up after quite a long bottom time. Was quite a surprise to be jerked back so unexpectedly... Stayed calm as I reached for my knife in its sheath on my left upper arm.  I looked down at the same time, recognized the problem, slowly disentangled the line that only had one wrap around the leg and was able to get free - without  having to Rambo-solve the problem. Got to the surface OK, but checked my watch...1:17sec Lesson...always stay calm and fight your instinct. Saved my life quite a few times over the years, not just under water, I might add.
Shag is fishy, so will give it a go on Sunday
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 9:32pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was out off the outside of the peninsula on sat morning early. In close and to the south of sandfly bay vis was 8m plus. beautiful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoKyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:42pm
SpearoKyle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heading out wed thurs to dunedin if anyone is keen for a spear. Not familiar with the waters in the area but I'm sure I'll find a decent spot unless anyone wants to show the way for me and my brother.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:40pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=SpearoKyle]Heading out wed thurs to dunedin if anyone is keen for a spear. Not familiar with the waters in the area but I'm sure I'll find a decent spot unless anyone wants to show the way for me and my brother

Keep us posted on what you find???do you have a boat or just jumping in from the shore?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Katiki produced a 63cm Moki last weekend.  Viz was not good, but fish died...Going to give it a go Sunday afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoKyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm
SpearoKyle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry for the late reply but ya went off shore dont have a boat yet although looking if anyone knows of a rib for sale. Had decent luck few blue cod I think I stumbled on a school it was good but went back to same spot with no luck a couple weeks later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PuttyBoyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:30pm
PuttyBoyy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New to diving and dunners but if anybody ever wants company let me know and I'll be there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:24pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gidday southern Si spearos! You may have heard that we are setting up a South Island spearfishing and free diving club to bring the many groups of mainland spearos together. The club will share free diving and spearfishing techniques and information specific to our waters, plus run training sessions and arrange events and competitions. Our inaugural meeting will be at the chch rugby football club rooms (in the squash complex (rear building not the main building)) at 250 Westminster St on Friday June 9th from 7.30pm. The bar will be open and we encourage all spearos reading this to bring 5 or more of their spearo buddies. Fyi our committee is Hamish McMillan (swam 125m underwater at last year's pool free diving nationals), Brad Warr (of canterbury spearfishing supplies), Lee Dobson (Blenheim based and co-organiser of the 2018 south island spearfishing comp), Sam Murray (organising the SI champs with Lee), Philip Van Zijl (Oamaru based and representing the southern folks), and myself Ian Barker (organiser of barkers grand slam spearfishing tournament for the last 20 years). We are eager to involve as wide a gathering of mainland spearos as possible so please encourage your mates to get involved.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:00pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been a little busy lately ... but have managed a few dives and put together vids of said dives.

Mate getting his first crayfish

just a murky arvo in Bluff Harbour

Also gonna be hitting that meeting in Chch as I was planning on being there that weekend for a boozy one with mates anyway ... see yas there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:13pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice movies jez,
I went and checked out a few of your others too, still trying to figureout how to post mine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:20pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mw4UW-fk6Q
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Southern Jez, look forward to meeting you on Friday. Bringing anyone with you?
Also will you be at the pool training session (hosted by Mike Smith of Ocean Hunter) on Thursday night - 6.30pm at the Graham Condon pool in Papanui. Should be worth attending.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 11:20am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A mate that is over from Aussie will probably come with me, but he's not really into spearfishing, makes a bloody good boatman though!

I fly up on Friday so wont be at the pool session unfortunately. It's only a good coincidence that I am in Chch that weekend, wont be bringing my gear with me (am bringing some crayfish to pay for my accommodation at a mates place though) cause i plan on being either drunk or hungover all weekend which doesnt make for good diving in my experience DeadLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:19am
spearomaniac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve never been in Dunedin, New Zealand at all but i’ve heard very positive comments and i would  love to try it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:07am
Platinum
Platinum

Also try the FB Dive Nation and Spearfishing Otago sie as both are more active than this site these days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:32am
felixx2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anybody in moeraki this week?
Page  <1 585960