Smoking Albacore Tuna

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 9:22pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Euro they look good. I did a bunch on Monday night after basting them overnight, tried a longer lower  (3.5hrs) smoke, was better than last time but that didn't work perfectly.  I had a couople of big KY in with them and they were primo. Has anyone got a magic temp/time and formula for albies they'd like to share?  Should I go for a really long cold smoke eg 8hrs at 40 deg C or shorter hotter? Any advice appreciated.
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 3:42pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Time to drag this baby up again.

Just finished a long, slow, cold smoke of some albie fillets.  They were rubbed with equal parts brown sugar and plain (uniodised) table salt then left in the fridge overnight.  Smoked over ti tree sawdust for 7 hours at about 35 deg.  Almost perfect, very moist and tender. Did one whole loin with additional chilli and garlic salt, really compliments a cold heineken.  Looking forward to smoking some for 9+ hours next time
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 4:15pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have just finished snacking on some, cut loins in half, brined in salt solution with brown sugar, jalapenos, and orange juice, dried in fridge and smoked for around 4 hours. Very tasty!!
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 8:46am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

I have just finished snacking on some, cut loins in half, brined in salt solution with brown sugar, jalapenos, and orange juice, dried in fridge and smoked for around 4 hours. Very tasty!!

Yum. I'll be round later for a taste!
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 4:28pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oldie but good thread - just smoked up a nice albie. just brown sugar rubbed in, 2 hour no smoke with 4 hour smoke pacific blend in the Bradley. Perfecto!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 6:01pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see almost everyone on this thread is doing loins, very nice they are, but what about the wings, that's the first bit we go for, absolutely primo, the fat on these will run off your chin, best eaten straight out of the smoker, best part of the albie and the heads are not to shabby as well.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 4:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old thread but keeping everything together
 We nailed some nice albys the other day..  bleed out gutted at sea as other posts above mention
Skinned and pulled the loin then cut into lengths even sizes.. ie the ends cut off on 1 rack , thick middle another... so tend to come out at different times but not over cooked.
Did sort of same basic we do with other fish
1 tea cup sweet chilli sauce,
 1/2 cup salt 
1/2 cup malt brown sugar
 in 1L water
 loins in a container pour over and mix thru
Leave over night in the fridge this time
Next day lay loins out on a towel then pat dry with another towel
Then spread over as little malt brown sugar as possible evenly. lay out on racks, spread the brown sugar that side
Into the smoker....Apple oak and hickory chips  @ 42/ 45 degs
Found moisture tended to rise to the surface so after an hr removed the racks and dried off with towel... if left wet or moist they will not get colour.
The end loins came out around 4 hrs (should have been closer to 3 hrs) the thicker centres 5 /6 hrs.

When I do kings/ marlin I leave the skin on.. but other fish dont need to and still stays moist.
I think next time I will leave the skin on.. keep the oils under the skin in the meat, and that way retain far more of the moisture/ texture.

But 1st time around not as pleased as could be, but still damn nice.. ideal for cakes/ pie... with skin left on when smoking will be real good for on crackers , appetisers etc.

Only thing thrown out was the skins..
all the rest use as steaks and raw fish in soy, with a little wasabi  and touch oyster sauce added
 The heads / frames etc all chopped up , into bags, frozen ready to go thru the multcher on the next burly making day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 5:10pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think next time I will leave the skin on.. keep the oils under the skin in the meat, and that way retain far more of the moisture/ texture.

But 1st time around not as pleased as could be, but still damn nice..

Update: just put couple vac sealed bits in the nuker for 2 1/2 minutes to de frost...still in the vac pack.
Moist , really nice, surprised.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:39am
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Anyone got any advice on cooking time and temperature for this recipe?

using a bradley smoking up a heap of tuna from weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only done tuna once.. If was to do it again would do it the same as the last kingie few weeks ok.
Fillet and cut loins into chunks about 150mm long.. Ussfull size when defrost /vac pac.
Put in small icetek type chilly bin.
Cover with a marinate
100gm non iodine salt
100 to 150 gm dark cane sugar.. Better than brown.
Cup of elcheapo sweet chilli sauce.
Dissolved mixed in 1l warm water
Make as MA y batches to cover the chunks.
Leave over night
Next morning sponve dry off chunks with tea towels or similar vert well.
Sprinkle as little as possible a little more dk brown sugar even and rub in.
From a pepper grinder hold high again as little as possible even
Put on grills temp around 48/52 deg for around 5 to 7 hrs.. Till just cooked thru.
I smoke with a mix off apple/fejoa /maple in a std cabinet smoker.
Maybe use as guide line to adapt to bradley smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 4:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Only did my last batch on an old cabinet smoker too. I used a mix of brown sugar and salt 4:1. Left it half an hour and gave it 3 hours at 70 degrees. Nice.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phoenix_Protocol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:27pm
Phoenix_Protocol View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive used the recipe in the following link for kingfish plenty of times and it comes out really nice, basically you brine it for a day or 2, then wash the fillets off, then soak in pure apple juice for 24 hours then smoke

Its the one about halfway down the page written by jordyl2k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:42am
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers thats the recipe, i did the bits i sampled were perfect however might need to work on temperature and time, and maybe swap the racks around at half way.  did 1hrs at 50c then 2hrs at 70c
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have found temp time /swapping racks over several yrs regular smoking anything from bits marlin kings tuna snapper KY even bacon beef etc.
The top shelves tend to 'cook' a little faster so place the thicker chunks fillets high.

Regardless of temp.. I 1st started smoking in a bbq.. It is keeping an eye on the cook of each of the different thickness and heights.. And simply remove each at different times just as they colour up as cooked.
Very important with fish be it smoking or just pan fry etc, just cook never over cook.
Also with smoking, put on a plate wnen come out, cover to keep any crawlies /Flys off and let cool down to room temp before putting in refridgerator/ vacpacing.

Page  <12