Whangarei dive spots?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whangarei dive spots?
    Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:10pm
jakenz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looking to go for a snorkel with the spear gun this weekend, just wondering if anyone could share some spots around Whangarei/Tutukaka/Matapouri etc etc. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:28pm
Bigolo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kauri Mountain is an easy one if your shore based , bout half hour out of town and a short walk. Theres also the gut out there which is just before Mcgregors (?) bay , hav'nt dived it but it looks all good . Are you just visiting whangas ?
" Slippery When Wet "
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:53pm
jakenz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nah i live around here. Just getting into snorkeling so not after any hardcore spots. Been a couple of times just for a snorkel in the lake and in calm waters but keen to start trying for some fish/shellfish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 8:32am
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

dont know about whangarei but when i stay at whananaki during the holidays, all you need to look for is a reef system with lots of kelpy boulders or sand nearby. stay away from the bare rock with kina everywhere as it is barren of life except for red moki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 8:46am
Bigolo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Smugglers is a easy beginners , just have to walk over the hill from Uhquarts bay , sand beach and usually clear enough for starting out . Used to go there when i started , used to get jd's along the rocks to the right towards the point
" Slippery When Wet "
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:57pm
Spearman83 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Bigolo Bigolo wrote:

Kauri Mountain is an easy one if your shore based , bout half hour out of town and a short walk. Theres also the gut out there which is just before Mcgregors (?) bay , hav'nt dived it but it looks all good . Are you just visiting whangas ?

The gut is prity barren went right all the way to the point. found good crays at 10 m, good butterfish at the point though. did see 2 nice snaps which beet me ha Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 10:06pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if you are going to be in matapouri there is a little bay called hale bay that is amazing little bay to have a look around in 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 10:49pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Spearo2b Spearo2b wrote:

if you are going to be in matapouri there is a little bay called hale bay that is amazing little bay to have a look around in 

Ha I am moving out there in 1 week. Will have to find it and have a look. I mostly dive by myself as i dont really know anyone else who does so any time you keen to get wet let me know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 10:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

do you mean whale bay? rather than hale?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:00am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Spearman83 Spearman83 wrote:

sorry yes that is what i meant small typo sorry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:02am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ha I am moving out there in 1 week. Will have to find it and have a look. I mostly dive by myself as i dont really know anyone else who does so any time you keen to get wet let me know.
i dont live up that way but go every summer it is the next bay around from matapouri (north) well most of the coast in that area is just perfect to explore if you ever get in there let us know how you get on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:01pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Revisiting this old post as I dived what looked to be a very fishy whale Bay yesterday. Could not believe how barren it was despite heading round into the ocean exposed guts and reefs. In a solid hour i couldn't find a single cray between the surface and approx 10m. Even checked out a couple over hangs and caves. Nothing. Kina have taken over. Quite sad really.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry yes that is what i meant small typo sorry

Have dived WB many times, gets pretty hammered imo as is such easy access, but you should pic up dinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:17pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Nothing. Kina have taken over. Quite sad really.

Yep, HAMMERED as I said. Take the damn Kina though, they like the starfish on the great barrier reef, they take over when there are no fish capable of smashing them like snapper, no sharks is a bad sign of reef health.

But plenty of spots on the coast.