Lower Unit Removal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower Unit Removal
    Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 11:26am
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok, '84 140 Suzuki and I need to remove the lower unit (gearbox). What should I watchout for as far as potential cock ups go?
Cheers
The past, the present and the future walked into a bar.

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:10pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Watch out for breaking seized bolts! Make sure you mark the trim tab before you remove it so when you put it back on you can get it in the same place.

Don't scratch it with a screwdriverTongue a vivid or twink pen will work well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:27pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers, so once I have pulled all the bolts etc does the unit just drop straight down?

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:06pm
Gold
Gold

Have you got another gearbox to put on or are you serviceing the waterpump? It has been ages sinse I worked on one of those so i cant rememebr if the gear shift is splined or if you need to disconnect it. I think, you might have to disconnect it at the top under the powerhead but sorry I am not 100% sure.

Is there a plastic piece on the the tray on the right hand side toward the front of the motor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:13pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep plastic peice there, I am going to swap the gearbox due to a crack in the housing, you mate on the shore at marine spares has a replacement and I will do the waterpump at the same time.

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:23pm
Gold
Gold

From memory you need to remove the plastic peice and there will be a nut there. Undo the nut but do not loosen it all the way off. When the nut is loosened, push on the shaft that the nut does up on, this should push the rod that engages the shift shaft. Make sure 100% that it is disconnected before attempting to remove gearbox. Easy way to tell is do it then gently try to shift the motor into gear with the controlls. If it is free and the motor doesnt go into gear, then you have done it.

From memory that is how you do it. Sorry its been ages
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:13pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also make sure that you check the control and the box are both in nuetral before reconnecting everything, and recheck once they are connected.  Seen a couple of engines buggered from starting in gear and damn near sunk a trailerboat by not being able to select reverse the first time after a service.  Ended up with a fibreglass repair just over the waterline after the piles stopped us from hitting the rocks...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:21am
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers busted

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 12:30pm
Gold
Gold

Make sure it pumps water too