Anyone up for a fush, in Wellington

Page  <1 377378379
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hqt543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 12:14am
hqt543 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just got back from Pt Howard. Plenty of bait fish around. Caught some nice live bait and then and then a seal turned up so we packed it in. It was cool to see it smash bait fish though. At one stage it just started nawing at the mussels off the pillars.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:17pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that HQ.  That's interesting about the seal.  I wonder if it like mussels or can't get fish?

Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote hqt543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 12:48pm
hqt543 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think both. We didnt notice the seal until we saw it chasing the livie we had out. Then it caught afew y.e.ms, stoped for mussels then started going after the y.e.ms again. Iv heard it lives in the rocks by the jetty and that its been in the harbour for months for some reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There's pretty often lots of small kahawai at Lyall Bay beach. It's shallow but the kahawai are right in close - almost always little ones. I catch them spinning a smallish Grim Reaper. Occasionally there's a work up, involving big fish - fantastic when it's in close. You can get kahawai swimming around your shins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hqt543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 2:31pm
hqt543 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Toad Toad wrote:

There's pretty often lots of small kahawai at Lyall Bay beach. It's shallow but the kahawai are right in close - almost always little ones. I catch them spinning a smallish Grim Reaper. Occasionally there's a work up, involving big fish - fantastic when it's in close. You can get kahawai swimming around your shins.

Nice. The bites are getting good ay? Just got back from lake ferry and it seems good there at the mo. Caught a couple fat red cod and kahawai. Kahawai about 40-50cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Atari.NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 1:21pm
Atari.NZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished 'Flatrock' yesterday for a good few hours, no luck sadly ...

Conditions seemed ideal but alas, no luck. Using pilchard and fresh squid as bait nabbed me a few little bites throughout the afternoon but failed to hook up on anything sadly. Mate caught 1 Leatherjacket and that was it.

Ahh well, that's fishing eh. Hopefully ya'll had some better luck than this newbie fishO this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:35am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With whitebait season and spring there should be more Kahawai coming into the harbour and some good workups along Petone/Seaview over the next few months.

I feature if that youtube video hqt. Not fishing as I had my yak on the car, just the dude mulling around looking over the edge haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:03pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm a just leave this here
"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thumperoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:05am
Thumperoi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hI all, I have recently moved back to Wellington. I haven't been fishing down here since I was a kid. ..
I have a bit of gear (surf caster and rocker set up ) and a car.
not working at the moment so if anyone is interested in having me tag along for a fish i would be very grateful.
thank you and God bless you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:11am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Thumperoi Thumperoi wrote:

hI all, I have recently moved back to Wellington. I haven't been fishing down here since I was a kid. ..
I have a bit of gear (surf caster and rocker set up ) and a car.
not working at the moment so if anyone is interested in having me tag along for a fish i would be very grateful.
thank you and God bless you

Welcome back to Welly. This forum is pretty dead these days unfortunately, I think the likes of Facebook killed it (facebook page called 'Fishing Wellington' would be the largest group if you're on Facebook)

Oriental bay has had plenty of kings the last couple months as the photo above (damn you Jeremy! I just saw that now). Or just drive around the bays and look for a promising rock to through a line off.

Couple good snaps to 10lb caught last night by surfcasters in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:08pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

page very quite these days no one been fishing - alot of fish been around
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Page  <1 377378379