over head braid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: over head braid
    Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 5:58am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats a good quality braid that casts well  with oh reels. Currently using fireline but its a bit stiff and springy and you have to be abit carefull with it birdnesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 6:05am
Nsane View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try suffix or Powerpro...  I use both brands on my reels..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 6:35am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep I have the same problem with fireline, damn birdsnests.
Dont let the grey hair fool you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 7:38am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been using Stren Microfuse for a while now. Casts beautifuly on my overhead reels
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 8:41am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fireline is developed specifically for spining reels, that is why it is not ideal for overhead reels. Pretty much any normal braided (not fused) line will be fine for an overhead. Berkley Gorilla Braid is I think the stuff I have on my spool.... I got a big bulk spool a few years back, and still have plenty left...ain't it great that it doesn't degrade with UV? :-)
That stuff that changes colours every 10m though is pretty handy... lets you know roughly how much line you have out. Actually used it as a depth-sounder in the Sollies last trip as the Garmin crapped itself yet again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 11:47am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah, I found the hard way that Fireline picks up on itself momentarily, then releases in a hurry when used on an overhead.  Went through two later spools of it in checking out my conclusion (slow learner, but thorough...).

Sufix and Stren work for me.  I use them on my fixed-spool reels as well now.

Some of the magazine articles and books say that tip wrapping is a problem when using the limp full braids.  Though it happens every now and then, I think it's just a question of looking at the rod tip once you've cast and you're doing the SB-jerking thing.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 11:54am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been using Xzoga braid it works a treat, got a wee reel with fire line and yes it is a pain at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 11:54am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Power Pro goes mint on overheads. It's very fine diameter compared to most of the others, so you can get a lot on your spool.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 1:19pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I loaded the last overhead I bought with colour coded YKG 8kg unfused braid. Lovely silky stuff that is a pleasure to tie knots in and makes me look a lot better at casting than I realy am. As Capt.A says, fused braid is for spinning reels. Got the YKG from YeeHaa, Panmure.
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 12:26pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got green & yellow 15lb & 20lb powerpro on a couple of O/H & the missus curado has black magic 10kg colour, she loves it for the distance thing too.