Why not a Off Topic forum?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not a Off Topic forum?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 7:41pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For a while now I have been wondering why is there no Off topic forum?

We have ones for sports, News and Tech (Although users do tend to ignore them half of the time), but there is always a bunch of random non fishing topics polluting the other forums and especially "The Captain Morgan Briny Bar". By having a dedicated "off topic" forum it would help keep the Briny bar more fishing related. 

edit: The news, sports and tech forum could even be made sub-forums of a new "off topic forum' which would help reduce the length of the main forum page. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 7:45pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'll second that Mili---recent happenings would indicate a need, IMHO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:17pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when I created 'The Briny Bar' it was always designed to be an 'off topic' forum - I think the original description that I wrote has been changed to give it a fishing only feel - not sure why? but the BB was more or less a supposed to be a 'bar leaner' in a fishing club for want for a better analogy......sure fishing is discussed but so is all the problems of the world....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:51pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree it does have that type of atmosphere, I always assumed  the presence of off topic discussion there was due to the lack of a dedicated forum.

Wayback machine has the Briny Bar description back in 2002 to be "The place to discuss topics relating to saltwater fishing!".   Maybe a slight change in description back to what you had in mind would help. There already seems to be a dedicated forums to cover all other forms and aspects relating with fishing. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:23pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The briney bar is the place for off topic discussion,its frequented by lots of people so if you want something you have a better chance of finding it...my understanding of  the briney bar is its a place where like minded people can talk s h i t like a bar at a  pub
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 10:54pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a newbie to the forum I was under the exact impression that what of2fish has just said.

Should be an interesting thread.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:06am
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think we may need Damo vote to make the thread as we all thought it was???Wink
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:40am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I sure would certainly appreciate the clarification!!!! Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 10:12am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes a certainClown gets upset when you post stuff nothing to do with fishing, great idea Uncle lets be having one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 10:18am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There is no reason why an off topic forum could not be set up.
Where the issue lies is that we, as in the mods would be charged with deciding what topics were off topic.
Its hard enough now and you will note no mod intervention in the parents thread at all really till that topic became controversial.
The more you slice and dice the forum to provide niche sections the less people tend to read them.
I recently had a request to section all fishing reports out into area,s would anyone read say a gisbourne report if they live in Auckland??? I dont know. If that report simply said good puka landed in the fishing reports I think it may get more hits.

I agree with the description that the briny bar is the place for general discussion like a bar in a fishing club which is what we in fact are "A fishing club" .

Some posters delight in posting topics that have little to do with fishing and draw no interest. These seldom get modded and are left to roll out into history.
When you pose an off topic question you have to be aware that it may fly or fizzle and if it flies some may take issue with either its content or it even being a valid discussion in the first place. This is just the nature of internet forums.

There is no easy answer and creating another forum topic wont IMHO change anything just further muddy the waters as to what should be where and my pm box will flood with bleats to have stuff moved or moved back.. The culture of the forum and its posters is a fluid thing and always changing as new posters arrive and try to come to grips with some of the history. This often rubs longer term members the wrong way and the mods get left to try and sort it out.

Who has all the answers, certainly not I or any of the mod team as the content of the forums is driven by the posters. Post off topic if you want but equally so be prepared for some to take a stand against your thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 11:21am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

The Briney Bar was always intended to be the place for non-specific fishing chat and over time it's worked pretty much like general chat you'd find at a Fishing Club - reasonably general but on balance more about fishing.  We moved Rugby to a separate area because that was a lot of clutter.

Boulder has encapsulated it perfectly - just creating another off-topic forum isn't going to solve anything. If it's specific to jigging, gamefishing, softbaiting, Kayak fishing, freshwater, boating, news etc.... all those areas are covered and it's obvious where topics related to those segments of fishing go.  The  more complicated we make it the more difficult it will be to administer as it's become clear over the years that 'instruction reading' does rate highly on our collective list of admirable attributes.

If it's general, the Briney Bar works fine and a topic that has little interest quickly drops off the first page and into oblivion thereafter. That is unless members will insist on flogging the dead horse and keeping it on page 1.  If a thread is giving you the screamers then it's probably a good idea to totally ignore it. 

I can't imagine why the parenting advice thread held so much interest for so long. My three kids give me all the parenting advice I'll ever need.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 5:18pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Grunta/Boulder for confirming what a lot of us thought that the Briny Bar is exactly that a virtual bar where we can all go to talk S H I T if we want and equally also talk fishing - all in a general setting.

Like a lot if it’s a problem I would have rather seen it with its own heading rather than lose the ability to post non-fishing topics if there was a real problem with members not liking non-fishing topics posted but equally I would rather have it under the Briny bar to stop having to scroll through pages to find things...

As long as those that post comments remember that it is a general topic category and  have this "fact" tucked away for future reference  I think all will be happy – As the old saying goes -  if you don’t like the thread - don’t read it - same reason your TV has an on/off button...if you don’t like it turn it off.....

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 5:33pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thing is there's always a few that will stick their OAR in and stir the pot...  EG.. guy just wanted an opinion on what he should do about the issue re phone and parenting his young fulla...  Now I have always regarded the Briney Bar to be exactly that...  A bar where ya talk crap and ****e while a bit pissed, held up by a bar leaner.. so a couple of guys put their spoke in and it turns to crap...  why didn't moderators step in and say "butt out, dont read it, go read all about fishing if thats where your tunnel vision takes you"..  life goes on.. life is NOT all about fishing , but fishing is what brings us together here..  Thing is, cant understand why this is so different to spiders, avatars,  funny pictures and crap threads...  didn't see any groaning and moaning in those threads..... (wonder why ???)  Maybe the powers that be should inform these guys that that's what the Briney Bar is about...  and moderators should moderate...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:18am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by *fisher* *fisher* wrote:

Thing is there's always a few that will stick their OAR in and stir the pot...  EG.. guy just wanted an opinion on what he should do about the issue re phone and parenting his young fulla...  Now I have always regarded the Briney Bar to be exactly that...  A bar where ya talk crap and ****e while a bit pissed, held up by a bar leaner.. so a couple of guys put their spoke in and it turn to crap...  why didn't moderators step in and say "butt out, dont read it, go read all about fishing if thats where your tunnel vision takes you"..  life goes on.. life is NOT all about fishing , but fishing is what brings us together here..  Thing is, cant understand why this is so different to spiders, avatars,  funny pictures and crap threads...  didn't see any groaning and moaning in those threads..... (wonder why ???)  Maybe the powers that be should inform these guys that that's what the Briney Bar is about...  and moderators should moderate...

I agree fisher.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 9:46am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LampWell said Boulder, the more you divide it up the muddier it becomes.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 12:56pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So that's that sorted then. That's what I thought too, but there are some subjects I don't post because I just can't be bothered with the crap it's going to create.

Thank you Grunta and Boulder and all the other Mods, if it weren't for you guys keeping this on the up and up, I wouldn't have half the fishing knowledge I have now.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 4:39pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still believe there should be a change to the description for the Binary Bar.

IMO the  Briny Bar is to big for its own good and is cannibalizing topics from other boards on the forum. Why would a member start a thread asking for help in TAS or Hints, tips and techniques when they get significantly more attention in the Briny bar.

By separating off topic from the Briny Bar it should split  the traffic to that board and might encourage members to use same of the other boards more. It would certainly make it quicker to search out old posts if most don't  end up in the shambles which is the  Briny Bar. 

Out of interest, how many of you guys navigate the forum by the "New Posts" page, compared with clicking on each individual board looking for updates?  I have the feeling that 90% of the posts on same of the less popular forums might be from members who navigate via "New Posts".

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 11:44am
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mili...bit of both but predominantly "each board looking for updates".. Why...because im not interested in seeing the new posts about flyfishing or the news or..??? ... I have a few boards I mainly frequent so go directly to those that hold my interest... 

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz