Longline fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longline fishing
    Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 9:47am
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have just bought a longline - I have a kayak, so that will be the method of getting it out.  How does a kite?plastic bag/balloon work?  How do you get the sinker out? What about bait?  Best baits, size, attachment to the hooks? How long do you leave it out? Best time to fish high/low tide, etc?

I have not been able to find a site/book on the art of longline.

Sorry about the number of qoestions, but I don't want to loose face (again!) - my partner is not convinced that all my toys will produce fish...Wink 

Thanks,

Philip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 10:22am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Philip, Try visiting Pauls Fishing Kites in Onehunga if you are Auckland based or ringing them. They seem to know a bit about these as well as kites. Your partner should rest easy knowing that your toys are a great "investment" and you will always come back with fish.....Lol....Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 12:27pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

;) with the emphasis on "will always come back!"  I am Tauranga based, so I will also try some of the local shops
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 12:54pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

try under fishing section of fourm .or kak section Confused long line
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 3:05pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The kite/bag is for when you want to set from the beach..maybe when its blowing a gale offshore wind and you dnt want to head out in the Yak.
Like the earlier post said Pauls kites are leaders in this field and have a good website where you can purchase online so well worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 3:16pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We set two fro m Omaha two weeks ago.
My mate simply put the end weight in the kayak and started paddling for the horizon.
Had  a big reel system on shore with hundreds of metres of line and i loaded the traces while he paddled out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 3:24pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah know whats thats like especially in an under sized yak.
Pulled a longline off Uretiti beach a couple of years ago while a mate set the traces..with a bit of easterly swell and not a boat in site it got a little hairy by the time the entire 2km of line was out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 4:12pm
Naki_boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Get yourself a kontiki makes life easy all you got to do is set the timer and set it of.
You can then attach the traces yourself then and not get tired from paddling out in a kakWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 4:15pm
wnw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The method of sending the line out depends a bit in the budget. We have a full Seahorse kit with electric winch but its costly. Kites and Yaks are just as effective given the right conditions. Torpedo does meen you can set in onshore wind and big sea conditions.

To answer a couple of the other questions:

1) we leave it out for an hour on the east coast and 30mins on the west coast (sharks).

2) best bait IMO is kahawai but squid and mullet are good too.

3) check out Pauls for hooks and attachments

4) best time is anytime you can get to the beach!!!

Good luck and let us know how you go......