Big Perch

Page  <1 345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 7:53am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just seen this thread.

I used to go lake fishing in Ireland at uncles place. I was from the UK - only knew how to bait fish with worms. Caught numerous to 3 1/2 lb and we ate them...better than trout!

Recently I've been out perch fishing at Hamilton Lake with a mate who has pancreatic cancer. Spinning is great for him as he can have a fish and sit down on the benches for a rest.
We have caught lots on a mix of lures: Rapalas, veltics, black toby and Storm soft plastics. I clip off the underside trebles and catch them on the in-body top hook.
The trout colours work well but the rainbow seems better.
We haven't caught any big ones but we do find it very relaxing and my mate loves it - very therapeutic, indeed. We get loads of people stopping to chat and ask lots of questions.
Loads of Pokemon hunters at the moment!!
This was last Wednesday

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wanda Ra went to the spot you recomended at atiamuri,there were dead eels laying on the clear bottom.I made a few enquires fro the locals,appears that the owners of the power stations do regular spraying in the dams to kill the weed, looks like it kills everything.this country is ruined by the multi national companys in the name of profit.I wish a political party would draw the line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:29pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would contact the regional Council about this and talk to the environment officer they would have to have a resource consent to do such spraying .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:50pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Why, is there a problem ? anyboby can get a resource consent in this county .Its all about profit and poisoning is the cheapest method .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 5:40pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A pb from Hamilton Lake, today.
3 old codgers - Last of Summer Wine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:55pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Fishb8...    and a nice fish also  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 6:26am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great pics! Well done with your PB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:02pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I followed your advice and rang enviroment waikato.they have issued resource consents for all hydro dams to control oxygen and other weed which can cause obstructions to the control gates.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:31pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Tony (Ugly Duckling)

I just had a very nice fishing for perch in the Ruamahanga - fish up to almost 1 kg. Not bad for me being used to much smaller perch in Switzerland.

I am in the lake Tekapo area at the moment and head back to the north island mid April. Would it be possible to fish with you the Okaha river and the Halswell river once on the way back? Would be great.

My phone number is 021 168 24 99 and my mail [email protected]

Kind regards

Roland
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Plenty of nice perch in the Ruamahunga!
Plenty of good perch in Switzerland too, I caught some very nice ones in the Rotsee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:07am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also, you may not hear from Tony (Ugly Duckling) as he has not been online for 3 years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:58pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Makka

Thanks. No ugly duckling online for three years. Sad. But I am happy with any help from Kiwi perch enthousiast. We just had a very good Thai curry with the Ruamanga perch out of the motorhomes freezer.  It's a pitty that not many Kiwis appreciate that good fish out of good waters. Like the Rotsee in Switzerland. To get real big ones there is quite difficult, but the small ones are a delicacy too and cost a lot in a Swiss restaurant.
We are heading to lake Dunsten near Cromwell the next few days.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Let me know if you are in the ruamahunga area again and I will see if I can get out for a fish with you, I have always enjoyed catching perch, that's what I grew up catching in Australia.

Regards,

Cohen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote david236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:41pm
david236 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I like white perch.Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

Let me know if you are in the ruamahunga area again and I will see if I can get out for a fish with you, I have always enjoyed catching perch, that's what I grew up catching in Australia.

Regards,

Cohen
Perch in the river?
Went to Wairarapa recently and spent a few days in Martinborough and drove to the river and watched a couple of people fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote david236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:59pm
david236 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow! A big one perch. Perch is my favorite fish.

What is your choice?

Do you want to know how to catch a perch perfectly? Then knock here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 2:07pm
064pointbreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where did you catch this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:15am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

I have a couple of questions for you:
Did you bring a 30cm ruler? And where did you catch it?
As a matter of fact, I caught a 32cm perch at Sylvan park on a paddle tail softbait.

Now that's what I call big! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:26am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a nice Perch👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 10:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Just seen this thread.

I used to go lake fishing in Ireland at uncles place. I was from the UK - only knew how to bait fish with worms. Caught numerous to 3 1/2 lb and we ate them...better than trout!

Recently I've been out perch fishing at Hamilton Lake with a mate who has pancreatic cancer. Spinning is great for him as he can have a fish and sit down on the benches for a rest.
We have caught lots on a mix of lures: Rapalas, veltics, black toby and Storm soft plastics. I clip off the underside trebles and catch them on the in-body top hook.
The trout colours work well but the rainbow seems better.
We haven't caught any big ones but we do find it very relaxing and my mate loves it - very therapeutic, indeed. We get loads of people stopping to chat and ask lots of questions.
Loads of Pokemon hunters at the moment!!
This was last Wednesday

Well that's because they love to gorge on trout fry if there's a chance.
Page  <1 345