Rotorua Lakes Daily Update

Page  <1 678
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:23pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Did you end up getting that on spinner or fly? Well done mate
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:42am
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tonyg26 Tonyg26 wrote:

Did you end up getting that on spinner or fly? Well done mate
Cheers Tony! That was on a spinner, still haven't got the hang of fly fishing yet haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

At Okareka over the weekend, harling from the boat at the eastern end on Saturday. Took a 52cm and 55cm at about 10m, water is 23 degrees at the surface, about 1.3-1.5kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:53pm
SaltyAss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Lost Rod. Anyone fishing Ngongotaha Stream, second carpark on Fairy Springs Road, I left an 8 weight rod at the carpark when I drove off New Years Eve, and would really like to get it back.
Paul at 0272458090
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 10:54pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lake Rotorua today in the boat with daughter, eastern (lee) side of Mokoia Island as wind made things a bit lumpy. Caught 6 released 5 all from 35 to the 47cm 2kg keeper over 4.5 hours.

Brown trout tassie devil doing the damage in 12-15m on the downrigger as no other depths or lures touched when trolling/harling.

Water temp at surface 23 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:15pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lake Rotorua about midday in the boat with daughter, southern side of lake out from sulphur point. Caught 8lb brown in 18m near the hole and released 1 legal rainbow in 8m. Wind/squall got up about 3.00pm so pulled the pin.

Traffic light Tassie devil doing the damage on the down-rigger and rainbow took 4 inch rapala in brown trout while harling.

Water temp at surface 13 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work. Haven't fished Lake Rotorua for awhile, must get on there again soon. Have had good results from there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:34am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heard a report that someone pulled a 32lb brown out of Rotorua recently, believe it was one of the fish released into the lake by F&G a few months back. Imagine that for a surprise!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:51am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Surely you jest?!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Think it might be legit, heard it from a builder who was working at a house near ours at Rotoiti, he said apparently the fish was smoked up and eaten!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:33pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do F&G release 30lb+ trout into the lakes? It must be from a few years ago - I thought they were yearlings?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:26am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They were carrying out some maintenance on one of their show ponds at the hatchery which meant they had to do a release of extra oversize fish into rotorua several months back. I know someone got one of the 15 or 16lb models within a couple of weeks at the liberation point, and they mentioned there were some 20lb+ models in the release. So wouldn't suprise me if it's legit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:47pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw a photo a few weeks ago of a silver looking Rainbow that was claimed to be 16kg caught in Rotoiti - spoke to Pat about it and he reckons 6kg from photo which is still a nice fish. The fish I saw in photo looked like a normal Silver Rotoiti bullet but xos size. Didn't look like a hatchery fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well, one thing for it~~we need to get out there to see if it's got a big brotherTongue
I'm nearly mended after an enforced layoff & hope to be heading that way soon.
You got any plans Russ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How are you mate - bloody busy at work at moment but plans are afoot for a few weeks - November 11 Monday is set for my first Rotoiti session this season - great if you could tag along
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:54pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good to see you are all still well and ready to get into them come warmer water.    I am planning a trip in Dec with a few salty kayakers from the Naki keen to try out trout jigging.     Done 5 weeks of winter fishing on the Tongariro experimenting with soft baits on fly gear.    Worked well as the grub and paddle tail 2" got a  lot more movement coming across the current.     Bit of a negative reaction from some traditionalists but according to DOC unscented softies are legal on fly gear.    Will try some out at Rotoiti.    However, will tie a new bunch of smelt flies to cover all the bases.    Today my neighbour who runs a commercial trawler gave my a brand new expensive looking drogue he fished up in his net.     Used to use them all the time but since I have learned to hold over fish with the paddle I only use them when fish are spread out.   

Did a meat hunting stint last Sunday for 14 gurnard 5 snaps and 5Kw.

Hope to see you all on Rotoiti this season so cruise up and say Hallo if you see an orange kayak

Cheers

Herb  
Page  <1 678